Game Feeders - A quick game feeder review for you! What do you use?

Discussion in 'Hunting Gear Talk' started by Katmandeux, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Thought I'd share what has worked for me, and what hasn't.

I used to build ground level trickle feeders...they were cheap and effective, but went through a lot of corn, and when the hogs arrived, I had to go to off-the-ground feeders.

I ruled out feeders on tripods, because they're such a pita to fill and service, and worked out a design for a tripod/winch/cable/pulley lashup that works pretty well. A "deer hoist" on a limb works pretty well for feeders up to 150# or so, but the 55gal feeders, which, when full, weigh nearly 400# require a winch.

Plastic containers are good in theory, but in practice, squirrels will eat a hole in them trying to get to whatever residual corn remains, once the feeder is "empty". Steel rules, and I have built feeders out of 10, 20, and 30 gallon garbage cans, as well as 55 gallon drums. The 10 gallon size is pretty handy...holds 50# of corn, and one man can hang it on a fixed hook.

More later.

2. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    As far as feeder motors themselves go, my experience has validated the saying, "You get what you pay for". Low end feeders, no matter who makes them, have ranged from not working at all, to, at best, a limited service life. The best of these has been American Hunter...bought three, three years ago, and after cannibalizing for parts, am down to one that "works", but I'm not sure I trust. Moultrie has been unsat, as has Remington, which goes through batteries like popcorn.

The best I've used, so far, is the Kenco Smart Timer. I have two that are 5 years old, and still going strong. A battery lasts over a year, and I've never had a single problem with them. Their only downside is requiring mounting from inside the feed hopper, which is just irritating enough to make me try something else. I've ordered a Lifetime feeder, on the strength of a lifetime warranty, and strong reviews on Cabela's site.

I should mention, all of my feeders stay out all year, which really says something about the Kencos.

I hope you guys will jump in here with your observations.

3. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Correction: that's an On Time feeder...Lifetime is the model.