Gamakatsu 'Octopus' - Question

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by IamMike, Jan 29, 2007.

1. IamMike

IamMike New Member

State:
    Ohio (near cincy)
    I have a few question about this hook if anyone is familiar.

Is this hook considered a circle hook?

Do you 'rear back and set the hook' (like a kahle)?
    ---or---
    Do you 'chill and wait' (like a circle)?

Any other tips?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    Ive been using octopus hooks for a while, i like them. I set the hook like i would with a j hook.

3. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey Mike,

I use "Gamakatsu Octopus Hooks", & with any Octopus Hook that I've use, I have set the hook & had no problems getting fish. :big_smile:
    :0a26:

Take it easy,
    Bert:cool2: & Shania:0010:

:worship: :0a23:
    Bert & Phil

4. IamMike

IamMike New Member

State:
    Ohio (near cincy)
    I would also like to clarify that I am only talking about the octopus hook, and not the octopus circle.

I've used them and have been setting the hook. I have always noticed that they get the fish in the corner of the mouth like a circle. A friend of mine and I got into a discussion about what their classification would be.

My friend made was trying to say that they are a 'hybrid' hook that combines the advantages of both.

Now I'm confused!

Thanks again

---Mike---

5. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    The term "octopus" simply means that the eye of the hook is bent back, so if you are use a regular octopus hook you need to set the hook.

6. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Yes you have to set the hook , the only hook that i would call a hybrid is the kahle hook cause they will work either way.

7. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Fishing big live baits on 10/o gammas I was missing fish. So I started snelling the hooks and letting the fish load up the rod before setting. Hook ups are close to 99% now. Seems to me the flats will clamp down on the bait if they feel it slipping, gives more of a chance for the hook to find flesh.

8. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    this is pretty much what i had to say, this is the same technique for salmon. let them get on then set the hook for good measure.
    Be warned, these hooks have to be very very sharp. after i hook 3-4 fish i toss the hooks.(im not very good at sharpening)
    once they get dull u will miss almost every fish.

9. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    The hook in the picture is designed to be "set-the-hook" by the angler. Like Griz said:
    which in my opinion the octopus hooks work best when snelled.

10. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    This is one of my personal favorite hooks I use them a LOT!! And I just rare back and try to rip there lip plumb off, and then let the wench on the other end do it's job!