Gamakatsu octopus hooks

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by lj catman, May 6, 2007.

1. lj catman

lj catman New Member

State:
    la junta,colorado
    i just bought some 7/0 gamakatsu octopus hooks are this circle hooks because i wanted circle hooks and i don't know if i got the wrong ones.the bag does not say circle hooks just octopus.and if not do i set the hook my selfon this

2. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    Look at the tip of the hook. It it bends in, it is most likely a circle hook. Just last week I purchased 6/0 gamakatsu octopus circle hooks and love them for large live baits!!!

Hooks are all about your personal preference and methods of fishing. A lot of the sport is trial and error!

Tight lines buddy

3. lj catman

lj catman New Member

State:
    la junta,colorado
    i have some eagle claw circle hooks and the tip are bent in and this hooks ain't so i must have got the wrong ones. do i have to set the hook then. and thanks to thegavel for answer

4. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    no those are not circle hooks but they are still a good hook. i use them for drifting and anchoring with good results but i do set the hook with them. they need to say octopus circle on the pack. the point is turned in towards the shank on the circle. the ones you got are more like a kahle hook without the offset.

5. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Lj, you just bought the best hook there is. Sharp and strong, try them for a bit and yes set the hook. Then donate all your leftover circle hooks to the homeless shelter and buy more Octopus hooks.

6. KingCatBrad

KingCatBrad New Member

State:
    Duncan, Oklaho
    Here is two pics of Gamakatsu Octopus Hooks And Gamakatsu Octopus Circle Hooks. Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

7. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.

I totally agree on that one, I hate circle hooks. I know a lot of people like them, and I do have some, but the only reason I have them is because I didn't look at the package close enough when I bought them.

8. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    I like circles and octopus circles both. I mostly use octopus circles on rod and reel(circles on some ocasions) and I mainly use circles on trots and limblines. There they really excel. Theres a reason all the pro Tuna fishermen use them on longlines.

9. lj catman

lj catman New Member

State:
    la junta,colorado
    thanks guys i'm going to keep them and get some more.

10. Possom

Possom New Member

State:
    Wv
    I love them will never go back to a circle hook and like everybody else said set the hook with them. There isnt anything better than setting the hook on that fish of a lifetime.

11. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    I use the octopus hooks just like circles.............let the fish load the rod then reel in(I usually give the fish a little hookset at that point, because I can), I'd say 8 out of 10 fish are hooked in the corner of the mouth just like a circle. the other 2 will be hooked in the cheek in front of the lip. Only time I use circles now is when I'm drift fishing, think their a bit more snag resistant that an octopus hook...........probably don't snag as many fish either:tounge_out:.