Gamakatsu Octopus Hooks?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by TOPS, Sep 26, 2006.

1. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Do you fish an octopus the same way you fish a circle? I know for a fact that you can not set the hook with a circle! what about the octopus, can you set the hook while using this hook?

2. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    I usually set them - I use them for striper

3. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Ok members, Tell me how you fish the octopus how! How do you rig your rod?

4. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio

One would use them just like a regular "J" Hook. Three-Way Rig, Carolina Rig etc., etc. I have a few of them but for I do not want to give up fish with the "Circles Hooks" (its the way I fish, LOL). The thing is I lose so much tackle that I use bulk turned "J" Hooks from the "CatfishConnection".

I hope this helps a bit Top

5. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    All I use are Gamakatsu Octopus anywhere from 7/0-10/0. I used to use the three way rigs but Now all I use are carolina rigs. I use 4-5oz no roll sinkers depending on the current, a bead, 2/0-3/0 two way swivel with a 15-18" 80# gorrilla braid leader, then depending on the size of the bait I choose what hook to use.

6. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I used them for a long time, in the river I caught a lot of fish on them but in the lake I didn't, I always set the hook with them as hard as I can. They work very well for Striper's, but for catfish I went to Kahles and won't ever think about another kind of hook now.:big_smile:

7. Vonroc

Vonroc New Member

State:
    Central Ohio
    As the tips starts to bend and I'm sure there on I use a sweeping motion to further inbed the hook.I sure miss the jaw rippin hook set when using J hooks, but it seems with this type of hook it's rare to miss the fish.Only use Gamakatsu Octopus circles now. 4/0 to 8/0.

8. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    There are octopus hooks and there are octopus circle hooks. With the regular octopus hooks you set the hook, with an octopus circle you don't. Also all octopus hooks work better when snelled as the eye is turned down for snelling.

9. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Top, I found out early on the I could not just rip and set the gamma octopus. I'm talking about the J hook not the circle. The first few times I used it I set hard and fast and always got my bait back all mangled or a bare hook. Then I started to let the fish load up on the rod sorta like a circle, then when I felt that first head shake I'd lay into him. Haven't lost any since. The last few years I have been snelling them also because once you try it its easier than any other knot to tie. I can snell my 10/o gammas now without any light, just by feel. Give that a try and let me know how it works for you.

10. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    TopSgtLawrence, I also use the Gama Octo hooks any where from 8/0 to 10/0. I also Snell my hooks and most of the time I use a 3 way rig so I can easily change my weights to the changing current conditions. Just like S-man said, I don't set the hook until the rod is loaded up. If I'm just getting taps. That not the kind of fish I'm after and I just stay in my seat. I've lost to many big fish due to circle hooks. BTW, I hardly ever catch a fish gut hooked.