Gamakatsu Octopus Circles vs King Kat Deep Sea Circles

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by H2O Mellon, Jan 19, 2006.

1. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have never used the King Kat Deep Sea Circles but plan on giving them a shot this year. The 1st thing I noticed was the massive size difference between the two. Below is a picture that shows what I mean.

The sizes of the King Kat Deep Sea's (Red Hooks) are: 15/0, 13/0 & 10/0
    The sizes of the Gama Ocopus's are: 8/0, 7/0 & 6/0.

As you can tell the Gama 6/0 are bigger than the King Kat 10/0's. The Gama 8/0's are about the sam size as the King Kat 13/0's.

You can prob tell the difference between in the thickness of the hooks too. The King Kat are 4 times as thick. I dont know if that is a pro or a con.

Let me hear what you guys think.

2. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Here is another pic, this time in comparasion to Gama Reg Octopus hooks.

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I dont like the small gap between the hook point and the shank on the kingkats!

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    good god them's some big hooks! those king cats are no doubt 3-4x strong hooks meant for trotts/limblines. id say "con" on those red ones, all the weight from the hook would keep your bait pinned down on the bottom. i myself like my live baits to move around a lot. who carrys those king cats?

5. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I think there needs to be some standardization in the circle hook industry! LOL!

6. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yes Dink I agree, prob not a good idea w/ live bait. What what about cut shad & and cut skip?

7. Rivercat1

Rivercat1 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I used Gamakatsu for 4 years now and have not had any promblems with them. I fish a lot of tournments and all the pros use them and say they would never use any thing else.

8. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    your right on that one! one companys 5/0 is anothers 9/0 and yet anothers 15/0! thankfully catfish connection prints all their hooks "actual size".

9. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I did look at the king Kat hooks my last trip to Cabela's. I do want to get some to try out, but I can't help but love my Gammies:rolleyes: ;)

10. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Flathunter, I'm with you. I've got a pack gathering rust in my tacklebox somewhere. I thought the gap looked a little narrow in the store, but with bait on them, it's even worse. I tied one one, baited it, saw that, and cut it off and tied a Gama back on. I do like that they're a lot heavier, but I don't think the narrow gap would let them hook up nearly as well as the Gamas.

11. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    I've used the Gama,Oct's #2-4's for channels/ 6-7's for blues and 7-9s for Flatheads going on 10 plus years and never went back or even thought of using another hook,

I just dont feel comfortable letting a 20-40# blue or flathead swim off slowly waiting for the hook to slide around a lip and set itself , if it dont slide out of its mouth first. with the Gama's the fish takes the bait you set the hook after a small run of a ft,or two. Set ,crank'em in. imo.

12. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Jack totally agree about the gap.I have seen numbers of large cats caught on the Daiichi Circle Chunk Lights.To me this is the circle of choice simply because it has a much bigger gap.It is the preferred hook above all others for one James River guide and he catches more plus 50 fish in a month than the rest of us have in a lifetime.Bryan they are also light enough for live bait.I don't use circles I use Kahles 7/0 but the Daiichis are what I would use.They are expensive though.