Gamakatsu Octopus Circle hooks

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by whisker_chaser, Jun 3, 2007.

1. whisker_chaser

whisker_chaser New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have been using 8 ought versions of these on my fiberglass limb lines. They work very well. I really like the small diameter hook for not killing a hand sized perch. It seems like they will live for a week on there. But I had one straightened the other day and that is a sickening feeling. I shove these 1/2" fiberglass poles in standing dead trees at a slight upward angle. The pole has a lot of give but this fish got around a small tree that I hadnt noticed and bypassed the flex of the pole. My question is: Are there any hooks that are similar in shank diameter yet stronger? I have used lots of different types of hooks and like these the best so far. I wish Gamakatsu made a little bigger hook of this type like maybe a 10 or 11. Thanks for your help and good luck.

2. TONTO

TONTO New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    GAMAKATSU makes a 4x Octupus circle that is a little larger diameter shank, but is really strong. I too regret they dont make them any larger than 8/0.

3. whisker_chaser

State:
    Missouri
    do you get that 4X? Thanks

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Take a look at the Diachi 10/0 and 12/0 chunk lite circle hook. Don't let the word lite fool ya. Its a good strong hook and its "SHARP" LOL! They are a bit pricey but well worth it in my opinion. I to am a diehard 8/0 octopus circle hook user myself.

5. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I use the same fiberglass poles that you do, and I have been using 10/0 hooks. The ones I use are distributed by Nemo's baits up in Perry MO. I haven't had any fish straighten these out yet, and I have caught flatheads up into the 60lb range using live goldfish and perch. I would have thought that them gomokatsu's would be a lot stronger. I don't know how you rig your rods, but I use ten ft of line on mine with a barrel swivel in between, I then wrap the line around the rod and only unwravel what is needed, therefore the fish can't wrap itself around the tree.:tounge_out:

6. whisker_chaser

State:
    Missouri
    It was another little tree out in front of it a few feet that I hadnt noticed. I really love those hooks, I just wish that they made one a little bigger like a 10/0 or so. But after investigating it a little further I dont think that they do. One guy PMed me about the Daiichi circle chunk lite 10/0 and 12/0 and I cant find those that big either. Do any of you know if I need to be using the snell knot with the Gamakatsu octopus circles with the eye bent back? I have been using a fisherman's and it seems to work. But I want to use the best configuration.

7. whisker_chaser

State:
    Missouri
    Does that mean that it is 4X stronger than the regular octopus circle? If so is it bigger in diameter? The ones of those that I saw have the straight eye would the fisherman's work with that better? thanks

8. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    owner ssw hooks in 10/0 they cost about 5 per pack of 3 but they are worth it.

9. turtle1173

turtle1173 Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    I don't believe Daiichi makes a circle chunk lite in anything above 7/0. They do make a 10/0 and 12/0 circle chunk hook (w/o the lite). The "lite" is not a weak hook but it is a different animal than the circle chunk hooks. The gap is not as big on the regular circle chunk hooks but they have a different shape altogether.

Having said that, I caught a 20 lb Flatty in '05 with a 10/0 circle chunk hook embedded in his upper lip. That small gap found its way into that thick jaw nicely.

10. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Those needle point SSW Owners are very sharp.I prefer them over Gammys.:0a27::0a22:

11. Midwest Drifter

Midwest Drifter New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Where is can one find these owner hooks?

12. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.

Owner Hooks are well worth the money they are vary strong hooks no matter what size or style. I bought a bunch of Owner hooks as well as other brands from a tackle shop that was shutting down. I have a good 100 plus packs of Owner hooks in all different sizes I paid about .60 per pack most go for 4-5 bucks a pack. I have about 25 packs that are in the 7/0 -10/0 size,I rarly use a hook that large. But I got them all in a package deal that I couldn't pass up so I'm saving them for when I go to the coast or to north Fl for flats.

I've been asked many times what I'm gonna do with all the hooks,spools of filler line,bobbers,leads and such. But what they don't understand is EVER kid that sees me thinks I'm a walking tackle shop for some reason "they aways have". LOL There can be 20 ppl around and if a kid needs something it seems I'm the one they ask - Hey MR. do you have a hook "or whatever they need" I can buy. Now I keep my tackle box stocked with things like packs of hooks bobbers and such and when they ask I give them a pack of hooks,leads or whatever to get them back to fishing. I keep what I want out of the deals and keep my box stocked with small packs incase I'm asked or see someone that needs something while I'm fishing. The stuff cost me amost nothing but it's pricelsee to see the way a kid will lite up when I give them a pack of hooks or a boobers so they can fish some more.

13. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Cabelas, or Cabelas.com:0a26::0a22:

14. KanHeadhunter

KanHeadhunter New Member

State:
    S. E. K.
    I use 7/0 Diichai Circle chunk "Lites" on all may limblines!! I do have a few lines with Gamas 8/0 but will replace them with Diichai when they need replaced. The Dii "Lites" come in 3/0,5/0 & 7/0 but they are a big hook, bigger then the 8/0 Gama's, the Diichai "Chunk" are a different sytle of hook, they don't make good limbline hooks. Get the Diichai Lite you will not be sorry.

You can find them at Cablas in the Saltwater section!! Yes they are expensive but they work.