Gamakatsu octopus circle hooks

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by Fishermancat1, Nov 20, 2006.

1. Fishermancat1

Fishermancat1 Member

State:
    Cobb Co. Georgia
    Would octopus circles catch flatheads on the lake bottom. They look like really sturdy hooks. Or do i need to get another style of hook?

2. dgde4x4man

dgde4x4man New Member

State:
    La Moille, Illinois
    I've used them in the past and never really had a problem with them.

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    John, I don't target flatheads as much as blues, but the gama octopus circles are some of the best circles as far as I'm concerned.

4. bushwack

bushwack New Member

State:
    missouri
    in my opinion,,, leave the circles out, just use 9 or 10 octopus, i tried the circles, lost over half my fish

5. dgde4x4man

dgde4x4man New Member

State:
    La Moille, Illinois
    You do have to have alot of patience when using circles. If you have not used them before I suggest you tie your hands down to the boat. LOL. Thats what I had to do the first few times using them.

6. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I have caught lots of flatheads with them and never had too many problems in which the hook was at fault. Several members on here that dont like them use the 10/0 King Kahle hooks.

7. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    I use the 8/0 Gamakatsu circles in rivers & the 6/0 nautilus style in lakes-no complaints here.I said it before on here,I don't trust the kahle style hooks.

8. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I do not like circle hooks. I use Kahle hooks for pole fishing, they have never let me down.

9. Catbird

Catbird New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, Ohio
    I use the Octopus circles 8/0. One of the best hooks in my opinion. As said before....patience....patience....patience...lol

10. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    The octopus circles are a great hook. They will work fine for your need. I use them and love them. But like others have said it takes alot of patiences. If you are one that grabs the pole on every bite they ain't for you. Just let them take the bait. When you think your pole can't bend any more then reel em' in. And DO NOT try to set the hook.

11. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    I prefer the octopus hooks over the circle.

12. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    Yes, They Work Well.

13. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    With gamu's I think the gap opens up too wide. They will catch alot of sticks and hook alot of wood if your fishing in heavy cover. Once those gamu octo circles hook a tree limb they dig deep into the wood. If your fishing the open water then you shouldn't have trouble. I do think there are much better circle hook designs than those. My favorite is Matzuo circle hook. It is by far the sharpest hook ive seen and it doesn't hang on brush like the gamu does.

14. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    If you understand the hook it will make it alot easyer to use,The octopus Cir hooh is just about the best hook out there ,But it is all about what do you trust!!!! If you dont trust it then your not going to be abole to kick back and enjoy your day or night so you need to find the hook that works for you...hook-em-up and have a great time...Patrick....

15. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I just wished that Gamakatsu would make them in the 10/0 and 12/0 sizes

16. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Bass pro shop has Gamakatsu Octopus Cir in 8/0 and 10/0 here in oklahoma city Iv got some........Take your check Book with ya.........

17. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    Gamakatsu hooks are all I use. I racked up on several sizes a while back. Try to keep a good stock pile of them. They are good hooks.