Gamakatsu Octapus/Circle hooks!

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by Rajun_Cajun, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Rajun_Cajun

Rajun_Cajun New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    everyone who is going to be going out soon to catch some kitties. i suggest(if you havent used them all ready) buying some and trying them out. its love at first sight. my friend barbel was the first to get me into them. if you do think about getting them... get the 8/0 :D

2. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    He's absolutely right. I continuously buy the 4/0 for channels and bullheads, although the 8/0 can be used too. I caught a really nice looking 3-4 pound channel off of an 8/0 at Lake Olathe here this last summer, and they are big enough for most baits that I would use for blues/large channels. I don't use them for live bait though, since they can get messed up if the fish blocks the gap. Almost all of my fish last year came off of these hooks. Great for the price, tough as nails, and sharp as a needle.

3. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I dont use the circle hooks but I use the normal octopus anywhere from 7/0-9/0 and they are in my opinion the best hooks known to man for the money.

4. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I use the Gamakatsu Octopus Circle hooks...they are the best circle hooks I have ever used. There is no comparison to any other brand IMO. Although Daiichi is a close second.

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have used them for a few years now and caught some nice fish on them..Unfortunatly I have lost a couple huge fish on the circles.

6. boz

boz New Member

Gamagatsu circle hooks are great I have used several sizes for many different types of fish but I usually use between a 4/0 and 8/0 for cats. my catch rate went up after I learned how to use the circles too.:)

7. seaark

seaark New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I have used the Gamakatsu Octopus circle hooks now for about 4 years and highly recommend them. Its all I use any more. I tournament fish and the last thing I need is to weigh in a dead one that has swallowed the hook. Every fish I have caught has not been injured except for a bloody lip. I will admit I have lost a few but I cannot blame this on the hook. The one thing I like about them is once you do get a hook set it is tough to pull out and causes less injury to the fish. Not once has a fish swallowed the hook. I use the 2/0 to 8/0 depending on when, where, and what, and they are sharp!!!! The only real problems I have are getting spooled or my leader getting broke by a blue cat rolling up in it or flathead heading for cover.

8. NCvacationer

NCvacationer New Member

State:
    Lexington, KY
    I love these hooks! As I've stated in previous posts, 8/0 octopus circles are the only thing I use for catch and release.

9. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Best hook made.

I am finding a 25 pack on E-Bay now for around $8.00

I heard about some of you loosing fish. You never had him hooked. Maximum hook exposure with the circles. Don't try to hide the hook in the bait. The hook needs to roll, and you have to let the fish consume the bait til the rod is folded over. Once that rod is folded and bouncing then he is on.

10. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    I tried them last year and am hooked (he he). Took putting rod holders on the boat to get the rod out of my hands long enough for the fish to hook themselves. 4/0 is my usual size for cut bait with 8/0 my choice for live bluegill.

Have heard that circles are troublesome during cold weather due to the lite bite? Anyone else think this is true?

11. Flyingpig

Flyingpig New Member

State:
    Lakewood, Illinois
    I've used Gamakatsu Octopus Circle hooks (all sizes) and would have to say they are great, but so far this winter I've had some trouble getting a hook set whenever I've had a bite. I don't know if it's me or just from the lighter bite.

12. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    If they normally work in your area, but haven't been during the winter, the problem could arise from the catfish being cold and not wanting to move enough to get the hook to roll into the corner of its mouth. Thats kind of a problem around here too. During the winter a lot of people I know switch back to J hooks because the catfish just kind of pick up the bait and float around with it. Other than that, circle hooks are great though.

13. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Flyingpig I will bet that is because of short bites from smaller fish. I TOO HAVE HAD THE SAME PROBLEM. Most of the ones that stay after the bait turn out to be one pound fish. The bite just is not as aggressive in the colder waters.

I did hook a 6 1/2 pound Blue and a 6 1/2 pound channel on 8/0 Gama's yesterday without any problem. I was fishing a white perch head about the size of the palm of your hand, and those pig fish took it hard!!

14. Flyingpig

Flyingpig New Member

State:
    Lakewood, Illinois
    Thanks Barbel and WylieCat...I may have to try the J-Hooks and see what I get till the water warms up a little bit. I'll swear by the Octopus and Circle Hooks though. We have caught more fish since switching to them than with the J-Hook. Thanks again