Gamakatsu hook info...

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by crazy, Sep 1, 2006.

1. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    So I wrote gamakatsu a letter asking about bigger hook sizes and this is what they said.... all i have to say is I can't wait.

Josh,

You're right. We do need to make bigger circle hooks have we have been working trying to find a way to do it. The 8/0 in the octopus circle is as big as we've been able to make it without having to change the manufacturing process, which would have also made the larger sizes incredibly expensive. We're very close to having the bigger sizes available at a decent price. We plan on expanding the line up of the Octopus Circle hook into 10/0 and 12/0, but don't have a date just as yet. We are also going to make a larger version of the Nautilus Circle, but it will be in a heavier wire. Those should be out by early
    next year. I really appreciate the feedback and support. We will
    also be introducing a straight eye, non-offset version of the Octopus Circle around the first of the year. So far it is only planned up to 8/0 though. We will have the larger octopus circles, so hang in there.

Good Fishing,

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Now this is good news indeed!

3. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Looking forward to that, I'm a Gamakatsu fan and love their hooks, Now I wish they would produce the Big river bait hooks in a 8/0 size. It would appear that they only make them in the 10/0 - 12/0 sizes and they are enormous

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I may try the straight eye octopus hooks. I think I would like those along with my regular J's.

5. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    That is good news, just wished they were available now

6. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Thats great news. I've been using VMC Sure Set Circle hooks in 10/0 but I'd really like to have some Gama's.

7. guns sugar

guns sugar New Member

State:
    Georgia
    When i lived in calif we used the largest gamagatsu hooks for sturgeon and they were fantastic.... sharp but we still sharpened them more and they were wodnerful so thats good news about the larger ones !

8. bigcatJoe

bigcatJoe New Member

State:
    indiana
    I can't wait till they come out.

9. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I'll be looking forward to that, I've been using the owner 10/0 and around here anything over 8/0 has to be ordered.

10. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    I recently started using their 10/0 Octopus J hooks and they work great! Sometimes it is just fun as heck to set the hook! LOL

11. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    i couldnt imagine why someone would need i hook to much bigger than 8/0 heck i think the world record blue was caught on 8/0 124#?

12. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    Sounds Good, Thanks For Info. Josh.

13. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    sounds grrrrrreat cant wait a bigger hook would be great for live bait.

14. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Yeah definately glad to hear that are going to make them bigger. I hope they stay in the same diameter because alittle bit bigger than the 8/0 my live bait will die!!

Thanks for posting this!

Josh

15. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Big baits take big hooks. There are lots of times when I wish I had a bigger hook for the bait I'm using. Then again I do have some 12/0 big river hooks when I need them. Although I do love my circles.

16. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Thanks for posting that is nice to know.

17. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    well i can tell you owner makes a 10/0 hook in their ssw line and its about $4.50 for 3 so thats a guess at the bigger gammies.

18. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    any new info on a release date

19. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    The 8/0 Gamakatsu circle is all thats needed for cats.Anything larger will be overkill.We have actually hooked more fish with the #5 Nautilus hooks.