Gamakatsu Circle Hooks

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by Drawout, Aug 17, 2006.

1. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    How do u tell how big the hook will be before you buy it if u are gonna buy online? Ive heard they have size 8 through 19/0 id like to have some small ones for crappie fishing and a good sized one for channelcats and maybe another while targeting blues any advice is appreciated.

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

The packages I have bought have a number on the top of the blue back ground in black. Sometimes hard to see though. For crappie fishing with crappie minnows I would probably use a 3/0-5/0 but prefer using j-hooks. Channel cats 5/0-7/0. good luck

3. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    For crappie you should use somewhere in the range of size 6 to 1/0, thats what I use for crappie. Anything bigger is to big in my opinion.

4. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I can't think of when you would ever need a 19/0. I use 6/0 to 8/0 for channels and for crappie I would go way way smaller.

5. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    19/0 is for Saltwater. I don't like Circles myself, but seems like most of the guys I know that use them for Blue Cats like a 8/0.

6. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    For channels I'd wouldn't go bigger than 8/0. Personally I use between 4/0 to 8/0 for channels partly because they don't generally get as big as blue or flats.

KatmasterJR one reason most use 8/0 is because its usually the biggest you can find.

7. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Oh ok, thanks for telling me that. 8/0 does seem kind of small for any type of hook for Blue Cats.

8. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Thx guys i have some 7 s i been using for channels and they are working im just curious to how the different sizes are. If i get a 5/0 does it still have same gap as the 7/0 and if so what makes them different?:confused2:

9. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    yep,the gap will be bigger,the wire will also be a little thicker

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would use 8/0 gamagatsu octopus circles for bules and flatheads, for strictly channels I would use 5/0 of the same hook...The flathead in my avitar pic was caught on a 8/0 octopus circle.

11. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    Man, yall use some big hooks! I have been using the number 2(not 2ought)gamagatsu hooks this year. I am not targeting big fish with them though. During the national tourney I did hook and land a 25lb 6oz blue cat. Have caught several in the 10 to 20 pound class. The 25lber was hooked in the corner of the mouth, just like the rest of em'! Now I admit this hook is a little small for this big a fish, but it does great on the channels and smaller blues. If your targeting bigger fish(20lb plus) I'd recommend going up a few sizes! With proper drag setting a smaller hook does a fine job if you want to be able to catch the small fish too!

12. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Eric do u have a pic of that hook or can u tell something to compare it to as far as size ?

13. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Just posting to bring the thread back to the top lol.

14. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    The bigger hooks will let you use bigger baits because it won't fill the hook up and it will leave more of the hook exposed for better hookups. I use 8/0 gamakatsu for channels and thats as big of a circle hook gamakatsu makes for fresh water. I use 10/0 owners circle hooks for blues and flats because I use bigger baits. Hope this helps you out a little and this thread is the first I ever heard where someone uses a 8/0 hooks for crappie. I would like to see the size of those things.

15. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Lol no john i dont use a 8/0 for crappie,but we did catch a crappie on one while fishing on bottom with a 3 inch shad,crappie was only bout 10 inches.

16. smitty1

smitty1 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i use 9/0 and 11/0 depending on what size fish i am fishing for.
    I would use nothing else but circle hooks, love them.

17. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    Johnny, I'm in Mexico right now woking, so I can't get you a picture. It's small though. I'm pretty sure a nickel would cover the entire hook! What size fish are you targeting?

18. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Here's ya a picture of some of the circle hooks. This should help you out. The size 6 is great for crappie.

Attached Files:

19. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    When drift fishing, I usually have one line out with a float. On that line, I use a Gamatsu 7/0, the largest I could find locally. I'm fishing for channels and am catching mostly 2-9 lb ones. The circle allows me to ignore the float line becaust the fish sets the hook, just start reeling when there is a good bend in the rod. Still use Kahles on my tight lines.

20. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    i would go size 4-1 for crappies and 1/0-6/0 for channlels and if you do a search you can find circle hooks up to 10/0 by owners. i prefer circles when casting for distance since you can't really set the hook over 100yds.