Gamakatsu Catfish Hooks?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by CJ21, May 21, 2009.

1. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I am wondering is Gamakatsu Catfish Hooks any good? I am thinking about trying the Gamakatsu Catfish Hook Assortment 20 Pack. My current Eagle Claw Hooks does not do the job.

2. Guthooked

Guthooked New Member

State:
    Ga
    I bought 10 cards of the Gamakatsu catfish assortment hooks from Wal-Mart last summer when they went on the clearance rack for $4.00. It had a red 8/0 circle, a black 6/0 circle, 4/0 kahle, and a 1/0 baitholder hook. All of the styles are good hooks; sharp and strong.

3. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    They're good, but in my opinion the Team Catfish hooks are better.

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    IMO, Gamakatsu are the BEST hooks on the market!!! They are super sharp out of the package and tough as heck!!! You just look at them and they'll stick you...:eek:oooh::smile2:
    I promise you won't be sorry if you get them. I have nothing but good things to say about them and a lot of guys I fish with will say the same.
    I also love Eagle Claw Khale hooks, 6/0-10/0. They are sharp and tough as well. I use the E.C. Khales most of the time because of the quality & price.:wink:
    The Team Catfish Double Action hooks are great hooks also. You can use them like circles or cross the fishes eyes.:cool2:
    You can't go wrong with any of the above!!!:wink::cool2:

5. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    Have to agree with CatfishJohn on this one; 99% of the hooks in my tackle box right now are Gama's... it's, IMHO the best brand hook across the board. There are very good hooks that cost more (Like VMC) but don't deliver MORE for the money. I've long hated Eagle Claw and won't use them but that's just me again.

I haven't used the "catfish assortment" but looking at it I'd say it provides you with a very practical, and efficient array of hook options.

6. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    I love em, there are alot of good hooks out there, but they will serve you well.

7. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    i think there awsome there about the sharpest hooks you can find.diachi makes a few styles that are good and the team catfish double action hooks are good as well.

8. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    gamas for cut bait tightlining, king kaels for live, bait, with clikers or tightlinigh i use both, dont think ones beter than the other but if your tightlining, gamas, dont frespool circals, u miss alot

9. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    there was another post on the site a while back where I was saying that the best hooks I have used are the Gamakatsu 8/0 hooks. I found some at wal mart once and they never stocked tham again!

10. Cathooker

Cathooker New Member

State:
    Ga
    I love the Gammas.I have about 75 of em in my tackle box right now. I use the 8/0 and 6/0 circles for cattin and the 6/0 Gamma kahles for live bait fishing for bass and drum. You'll not find a better hook for the price.

11. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    gamas for me also 80 % of the time and kahles are 2nd and still use kahles in some situations .

i dont feel ya can beat gamas for the money if ya shop around ya can get great deals on them in large quanity packs .

be a cold day in ....... when i ever pay a dollar a hook on some of the other brands .

i have found and bought gamas in quanity packs as cheap as 20 cents a hook . infact a couple years ago i got a 100 count of 8/0 circle gamas for 18.95 thats hard to beat in my opinion for that sharp and strong of hook .

12. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I bought some of those Cards awhile back, and the only ones I tried, were the 8/0 Red circles, first circles I used, and the only circles I've tried.,,,. the rest of them (in the Card) are too small in my opinion,for the types of bait I use for Flatheads..
    ,I found if I straightened the non-fish hooking curved point, to point at the eye,,,, they'd actually catch a fish,,, Now, that would be a hook to buy,,
    But, quality wise,, they're great. Sharp, tough,, and pretty , too!!
    I mainly use king kahles, 7/0-10/0, they work the best for me... or Gama 7/0 octopus,,. Circles just don't,, fit,,, in my tacklebox,:wink: very well.
    Good luck, they are a quality product, and may do the job you require.

13. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Since I fish with Nightclawer, Livers, Minnows, Live Bream, and Cut Bream. I think this pack with cover my needs.

14. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I do tightline on the bottom 90% of the time.

15. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    There a great hook. WE have them in stock in 8/0. I use them for people in my boat that does not fish much, as they can catch fish on them .
    I Use them and Sickle hooks.
    Pete

16. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    Gammas are some of the best hooks out there.The Team Catfish double action hook is an great also and both are priced good.

17. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    8/0 gama octopus circles can't be beat:wink:

18. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    This is what I have in my bag right now, bought some sickles earlier, gave the #7's to my Bro's step son..I'll explain why later.

The Gamakatsu has to be the strongest, sharpest hook out of the pack $$$ can buy , Ive caught over 100 fish on a single hook and it was still sharp enough to stick into my fingernail. JMHO..

(has anybody ever had one straightened out by a fish or snag?)

Attached Files:

19. juniors

juniors New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    gamma's are far the best hooks out of any with exception the diachie's which i hear alot of you saying team catfish hooks are good, i guess you don't realize there overprized diacchie's but yeah diachhies are good, but the gamma's stand for imagonnagatcha cats best out there

20. marcusbigdaddy1

marcusbigdaddy1 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I have used the gamakatsy circles, and the octopus. ive lost more fishon the circles than ive cought. I do think the gam octopus is the best hook out there. its all I use any more