Gamakatsu Big River Hooks?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by torment_hack, Mar 28, 2006.

1. torment_hack

torment_hack New Member

State:
    california
    Has anyone tried these??? I put in a order for both sizes to CC the otherday and cant wait to get them.

2. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    They are a great hook Ryan, I have used them be for with good results. The only thing that I find prohibitive is the cost. I loose to many hooks to snags. Using big river hooks all of the time would break me! lol ;)

3. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I'm with Netman - I wish I could afford to use them more often. I've caught flatheads as small as 8lbs and as large as 30lbs on the size 12's.

4. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    I bought a pack of 10 0/0 Big River's to try out, at $2.00 ea. I don't know if I'd use them exclusively.:eek:

5. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I use them when fishing with large live baits, they work good for me.

6. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    They work great. All I use is Gamakatsu hooks and the big river hooks, if you want a big hook and for live bait they seem to work really well for me and are SUPER strong and SUPER sharp. Good luck with em!

7. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    Ryan They are a great hook but, I only use them on big bait. Like a big gut pocket or head. They can do some real damage to a small fish. I use Gamakatsu 10/0 octopus hooks the rest of the time.

8. Riverjake

Riverjake New Member

State:
    Joplin MO
    I use the Big River hooks when floating a large bait in snags and heavy cover, AND, with rod in hand so I can "set" the hook and move the fish quickly. They are a great hook for large baits, strong and sharp. For more open water when fishing for flatheads I go to the Octupus circles with the rod in the rod holder.

They are expensive, at least for me, and I try not to use them in areas prone to hangups such as rocky bottoms.

9. Kittycatcher

Kittycatcher New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Te
    I have fished with 12/0 and 10/0 Big River Hooks in the winter time. But I have found that Eagle Claw makes 9/0 and 10/0 King Kahlae that is just as strong and the gap is big for those big baits that you use in the winter time and you can get them through Catfish Connection pretty cheap, too! Cost of these hooks are from 12.95 to 13.95 pre box. There is 50 in a box of hooks. So I don't buy them anymore.

10. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I never tried the big river hooks but they do look like it will do the job. I just recently ordered some and will only use them for big baits in hunt of big fish.

11. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The are an awesome big hook, but just a little to big for me.

12. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken

You cannot go wrong with a Gamakatzu, thats all that is in my bag / any size you need, from #2-9

13. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I just use the Gamakatsu octopus circles and have great luck with them. Super sharp, super strong, and thin enough not to kill your live bait like the eagle claw or Diachi's. Chris

14. kurt

kurt New Member

State:
    ohio
    Im my opinion they are the best. they are pricey, but the fish is worth it.