Gama vr's Sickle Catfishing Hooks

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by Flamekeeper, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    I haven't used then yet, But I just bought some from Red in sizes 1,3 and 7.
    I've never really got them out and looked at them until a little while ago. Everybody talks about how sharp they are,and the wide gap they have.

I completed a micro test on the # 7 octopus of each of the following brands, and below is my findings..

The Gamakatsu has a gap opening of, 0.758"
    The thickness of shank is 0.080, 0.005" thicker shank and upon testing with my hands will not give/ spread open at all when under pressure.Tip pretty sharp when applied - sliding on finger nail with light pressure it sticks.( sharp)

The Sickle's have a gap opening of, 0.780 a difference of 0.022" more gap. The thickness of the shank is 0.075", and upon testing with my hands will give/ spread open just a tad when under pressure.Tip pretty sharp when applied - sliding on finger nail with light pressure it sticks..( sharp)

To my testing the Sickle has a slightly smaller diameter and more flexible shank, with a wider gap of minimal measurements.

The Gamakatsu has a thicker,but much stronger shank IMHO with a slightly smaller gap with about the same needle sharp point..

All in All, I will use the smaller 1 and 3's for the channels, and I will use the 7's when I have too.

Here are some pic's of the 2 see the difference, not much:wink:

Attached Files:

2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Sickle's have more strength based on its slight design modification. I was talking with some of the engineers yesterday evening on the trademark they have.

Like arm wrestling, if you can get your wrist bent, you get much more leverage and strength.

I will have one on an issue of the Catfish Insider in the future.

3. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    great post flamekeeper, i use 8/0 gama's and know they hold up to anything, i did pick up some 7/0 sickles a couple months ago and will be testing them out this spring, i'd like to find some 8/0 or 9/0 sickles for the bigger baits i use, i like the idea that i can "cross eyes" with the sickle hooks

4. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    need some 8/0-10/0 sickles. need them for bigger baits that i throw. caught a #25.8 flathead on a small dead bait and the 7/0 sickle. need the larger ones for the big rock bass, bass, big bluegill and crappie i use that weigh from almost a pound up to two pounds. 7/0 won't cut it for these big baits.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Kenny thanks for the review. Good info. I agree with the other post we need larger sizes in the sickle hooks.

6. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    Gamakatsu makes a hook called the "Big River" that's exactly like the sickle hook. I'm not sure which came out first, I know that the Gamma's have been on the market for at least a few years now. You can get them in 10/0 and 12/0. They are a brute of a hook.

7. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    they are a brute of a hook but with a brute of a price for 3 hooks in a pack.

8. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    Kenny last year i was fishing the river for flats and it was high and ragin'. there was a lot of stuff floating down the river. i was doing something when my buddy said better watch your lines. there was a huge log about 5 foot long by about 4 foot around heading for our lines. i got one of my lines in but i got hooked up with that log on the other rod. that log weighed around 55 pounds. actually pulled that sucker in and got my stuff back. my 7/0 sickle hook was buried in it and didn't straighten out. it was still as sharp as when i tied it on. thats one reason i am not concerned if i hook into a monster flattie while using smaller baits. i just wish they would make the bigger sizes for the bigger baits i throw. my buddy couldn't believe that that hook not only held that log but that it was still in great shape. needless to say he borrowed some from me for the night to try and bought himself some when he got home.

9. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky

Like everything else, you've got to pay for what you want sometimes. :eek:oooh:

10. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken

I have no doubt that it would.
    55lbs floating on water is'nt that much to pull in ,Its slow because your rod is doing the work , easier than a fish..But if that was a fish that took off and got wrapped up in a log and started snapping that head he it might just do it..:wink:

11. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    the current was crazy that night and trust me it did not just float right on in. the way it was hooked it came upriver end first and had a slight angle to it so it was like a giant crankbait. plus it was catching other junk that was floating down river as it was coming up. didn't really think i was going to get in to be honest. like the boss man said in another thread its all in the angle the hook has to it. if he puts it in the next insider e-mail and explains it you'll have a better idea about the strength. trust me when i say i have tried all brands of hooks and these are by far the best. i would use them exclusively if the bigger ones are ever distributed here in the states. also have used the sickle in size 12 for catching my bait and have made incidental catches of channels and largemouths. channels were from 4 to 9 pounds and bass were from 3-6 pounds with a 5 pound walleye thrown in. never had one open up. its a tough hook.

12. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    I work with metal everyday of my life almost and know all about them angles, sure it might help in the strenght when pulling straight at a downward position on the hooks second curve, But spreading the gap opening, which gave when under pressure of my fingers, from shanks eye to barb. means to me if a Big fish got wrapped up into a log and started snapping his head he would probaly bend it...MAYBE NOT. thats just one oppinion:wink:

13. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    one thing is that the design is like that of the gamakatsu big river hooks and i have never heard of them opening up on the big fish that they are used for. just my opinion and i am no expert here. i had the same fears of it opening up and losing nice fish when i got them but so far have proven me wrong.

14. Cliffcat

Cliffcat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Used the sickle hooks for the first time on March 7th in the little blue river, Jackson County, Missouri. Used size 1 or 1/0 (can't remember which) (red hook) with a night crawler fished on the bottom, with the rod in a rod holder. Within 5 minutes a small drum (14") hooked it's self and loaded up the rod. 5 minutes later a 22" drum also hooked it's self. In both cases I was busy fiddling with other rods and equipment. The hooks are sharp and while they are not circles, they do hook the fish quite well, even if you are too busy to set the hook yourself. This is hardly enough information to make an imformed decision on, but I will continue to use sickle hooks (as well as others) until I have enough data to make me happy with the hook choices I make. This is certainly a good topic to get us talking.

Ralph