Gama octo or nautilus circle hooks

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by boombalaty, Jul 25, 2009.

1. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I gotta re up on hooks today. What do you guys think nautilus or octopus?

2. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    im not a fan of the gamma circals, but i think the nitrolis or what ever its called has way to small of a gap, i would not use this for large baits at all, i still got gamma circals,lol going to try em agin tonight

3. Johnny B

Johnny B New Member

State:
    illinois
    I think the octos are a great hook.

4. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks guys. I was thinking the gap looked small on the naut. I was looking at them on line so I wasnt too sure. Think im gonna hit BP ina bit to get some octos!

5. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    id stick with the top choices gamma circals, or j octo,or king kaels,cant go wrong with them, but dont overlook my favernt hook, team doble action hooks, hard to find, they hookup better due to the wider gap, but id stay with them choices

6. Lignum

Lignum New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Yeah the double action hook is the only hooks I basically use anymore, can't beat them.

7. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    matt i would get the gama os OCTpuss J 10/0 hooks

8. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Circles suck, lol. Go for the octopus 10/0. I love those, but im gonna try some gama big river, or the sickles from wild wolf, cant hurt to have those in your arsonal.

9. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    lol none of theese hooks suck, its the persons abilaty to use them, i hate gamma circals but they do not suck read the poll on hooks,get the top choices learn how each hook acts:wink:

10. EricM

EricM Active Member

State:
    Cleveland TN
    I now fish exclusively with Gama 8/0 octopus circle hooks, and have landed 4 IGFA World Line Class blue catfish and 4 IGFA World LIne Class freshwater drum with them. I regularly catch blue, flathead, and channel cats from 2 to 84 pounds on them with no problem whatsoever, extremely rare to miss or drop fish on them. I personally love 'em!

11. bulethed

bulethed New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I'ts not possible to compare the j type hook to the circle..........they are not to be used in the same situations. if the fish are hitting hard in current, the circle will out fish any other style hook made. for flatheads, where you let them take the bait and move off with it a j hook is the best option. i guess what i'm saying is you cant compare different types of hooks in the same light.

bill.

12. Southerncats

Southerncats New Member

State:
    Alabama
    You can't go wrong with the Team Catfish Double Action Circle hooks.....The hook ups are near 100% when you have current and the fish are going down river and if your fishing a lake and the fish runs toward the boat, you can reel down or sweep the rod if you need too.....Flatheads are usually harder to catch in my opinion, because they either don't run with the bait or they swim up river...but with the double action just reel down and load the rod up, and FISH ON.

13. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    I FELL IN LOVE WITH DOBLE ACTION ITS ALL I WOULD USE IF I COULD GET EM ALL THE TIME

14. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I absolutely love 8 ought Gamakatsu Octopus offset Circle hooks for Flatheads and Blues.

15. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    YOU WONT GO WRONG WITH ANY OF THE ABOVE,I DO LIKE TEAMS BETTER DUE TO THE POST ABOVE BUT I GOT OME GAMMAS READY,KAELS ARE GOOD AND BIG GAMMA JS

16. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    Just so everyone know, the Team Catfish is the same hook as the Daiichi Circle Chunk Lite, and the Daiichi's can be easier to find on-line, as any saltwater tackle store is probably going to stock them.:wink:

17. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    And our Charlie Brown Octopus hooks are like the Daiichi Circle Chunk Lite
    hooks.
    http://wildwolfproducts.com/CBhook.htm
    And we have them up to 10/0
    pete

18. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    After Pete's post, I got on the website and took a look at those Charlie Brown hooks. I ordered some of the 5/0, 8/0, and 10/0 hooks. I got them in the mail the other day, and let me tell you, they are some WICKED hooks. Wicked looking and wicked SHARP. Thicker wire than the Gamma, but with a very fine sharp tip.

The 5/0 hook is a bit small, about the same gap size as some 3/0 Eagle Claw L7222 circle hooks, but much stouter.

The 8/0 is about the same size as the Gama Oct. Circle, just a tad bit larger. The gaps are about the same, with the Gamma being a rounder gap. The Charlie Brown hook is again, much stouter wire.

The 10/0 is a BIG hook (after all, it is a 10/0). Until now, the biggest hooks that I had were 8/0 Gama's and some 9/0 Eagle Claw #84 j-hooks, and this 10/0 swallows them. This is a hook that IMO is suitable for the just about any bait and the biggest fish, with as heavy a line as you want to fish. I promise, I'm 99% sure that you aren't going to bend this hook out unless you're using a winch with a telephone pole. But it is still scary sharp.

The eyes are upturned just enough for a snell, but not quite as much as the Gamakatsu hooks (or so it seems). They will also work great with any regular knot you like to tie.
    NOW, if I could just find some time to try them out. :smile2:

19. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Gama octopus circle for me 7/0 & 8/0.

20. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Chris the 6/0 Charlie Brown held a fish over 1000 lbs a few months ago. The owner is sending me a link to this fish. All that I know is it was in ocean and big. LOL
    Also these hooks are hand forged not machine built. makes for a heavy duty hook. If you bend one of these your using a reel as big as a gallon jug. Not a 7000 or something like that. But then again that is what a rod and drag is there for. With the drag set theres no reason to bend even a light were hook.
    Pete