Galvestan texas

Discussion in 'Salt Water Fishing' started by catfishing is fun, Feb 5, 2007.

1. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    My family is taking a trip there some time this summer, has anyone surf fished here, if so, what kind of fish are in the surf.

Thanks for the help
    Marshall

2. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    Your most likely gonna be targeting redfish and trout, with a occassional flounder. Live shimp or mullet are your best bet for bait. If you use dead shrimp expect to catch mostly hardheads (saltwater catfish) which is a trash fish for saltwater. Hope you catch some fish.

3. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    When surf fishing the beach at Galveston Island, you need to be aware that there are three "sandbars" off the beach. Usually, the fish are between the second and third bar. Most casters wade out to the second bar and cast into the trough between the second and third. There are other options for fishing. The various rock groins get you out into the gulf, there are at least two commercial piers with T-heads...don't know if the Flagship hotel pier is still open, and there is the South Jetty. Fishing the piers does not necessarily mean its best to fish the T-head. Sometimes, the fish, especially trout and redfish are found closer toward the beach.

If you have the time and transportation, another good spot is San Luis Pass at the West end of the island. Be careful if you wade into the pass, the current and riptides can be dangerous.

4. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    10 miles to the west is san luis pass. very good fishing off the pier. across the ferry to the east is rollover pass, very good bank fishing. for a fishing report for rollover you can check out www.northendbaitandtackle.com they do not give many reports this time of year, but will start back in the spring and summer. i will be fishing there a lot in the summer. there are a couple of tournaments i will be in so give me a shout before you head down there.

5. TX Catman

TX Catman New Member

State:
    Texas
    When I went all I caught was a ton of catfish that were'nt as good as freshwater catfish and a bunch of croackers on shrinp. Croakers are great though):big_smile:

6. catfishing is fun

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    Thanks for all the help, what kind of set up is best for the surf in galvesten....?

Thanks

7. catfishing is fun

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    I have a 8ft uglystick bigwater, with an okuma niko spinning reel, it casts pretty far, and im going to put some either 20 or 25 pound mono on it, will this work?

8. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    That rig is ok for fishing the piers, jettys, rock groins, Rollover Pass (that's a fish pass cut on the Bolivar side of Galveston, and maybe San Luis pass. It'll work in the surf, but you'll have to wade to that second bar and fish from there. Live shrimp is a good bait, but expensive and difficult to keep alive. Dead shrimp will catch fish, but you may also be plagued by hardhead catfish, nasty almost inedible little buggers that make you wish for a gar. Mud Minnows, fingerling mullet, and piggy perch also work well.

9. catfishing is fun

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    if i waded out to that second sand bar, how deep would the water be

10. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Usually, the trough between the first and second bar is about chest deep, though I haven't done it many years. Once on the second bar, you are a little more than waist deep. Of course, it varies with the your height, length of legs, etc. I'm 5-9 but my legs are slightly shorter than average. I don't saltwater fish anymore, and always just went when I could. But its a good idea to be aware of the tides. Someone else may be able to help with what to watch for.

11. catfishing is fun

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    thanks gadzook, one other question if i may, what kind of edible fish could i catch out there, either from that sand bar, or a peir

Thanks
    Marshall

12. catfishing is fun

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    just lookin for more info, so ill know where to go, and what tackle to take