Gallipolis Pool last night

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Slatebar, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    My fishing buddy came down from Columbus late yesterday and we hit the Gallipolis Pool. We had 23 bluegills and he had bought 2 small Skipjack for bait. After stopping at the local Sub shop for snacks we launched at the city ramp about 7:00 PM. Headed down river to one of our spots. We fished there for about 1 1/2 hours and got no hits except once when he started to reel in he snagged a 22 inch Sheephead. We then headed up river to another spot and tied in for the duration. Bite there was much better but we both had problems hooking up. After several runs for both of us I finally hooked one and got it to the boat and while netting it got off, looked to be about 5lb Shovlehead. A few more runs and I hooked or should say snagged a small Shovlehead about 2-3 lb. a couple more runs and I boated another Shovlehead of about 8 lb. Had several more runs but tno more hookups. Ran out of bait about 1:00 AM and headed home. The bit was very good last night. We were anchored on a steep dropoff from about 15 ft to like 32 ft. All runs were on Gills, zilch on the Skipjack. I don't know what the problems were for failing so many hookups, we were both using new 9/0 Gamekatsu (sp) hooks. Looks like I will againg be going back to my old favorites TruTurns.
    BTW the fish really was larger than the pic showes

Attached Files:

2. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks for the report. That sheephead would made a lot of bait!:wink:

3. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
  4. cdog

cdog New Member

State:
    ohio
    hope fully you were not getting gar runs, i think i had a few saturday night. i definately seen plenty of them rolling. i also set the hook on a bunch of nothing quite a few times.

5. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Thanks for sharing your story an glad others came to participate. That's what real fishing is about making it better for all involved. Congrats on the catch.