Gallatin Steam Plant

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by tntitans21399, Dec 12, 2007.

1. tntitans21399

tntitans21399 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Since I'm still learning and plan on going out on my first catfishing outing in the next couple of weeks, not my first fishing I did bass fishing during the summer, but I was wondering if maybe trying near the Gallatin Steam plant would be a good spot to start. I usually put in at Cedar Creek if I'm going to Old Hickory or Elm Hill Marina on Percy Priest, so if you know of any other spots to try out please any advice would be great.

2. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well I am mins. from there so if you are going out let me know, I haven't fished it to hard but I imagine that warm water comin outa there is good for bait and where the bait is the cats should be.

3. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    The Gallatin Steamplant is a good spot to fish. If you want to catch a big striper, they are there. If you want to catch a big cat, they are there too. I fished there for many years and caught many big fish. If your in a boat, you can fish many different areas of the steamplant. I would recomend cut skipjack. I would also try to fish the main river channel for big cats. You can go to the intake area and fish near the skimmer wall. There have been many big cats caught there in the past. Good luck to ya! Hope to see some pictures soon.

4. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Do you cut the skips or use them whole, I didn't think strips would like cut as well as whole bait I caught a 49lber on cut bait but that wasn't intended.

5. john catfish young

State:
    Kentucky
    We fished the steamplant mostly at night. After everyone would leave. We used to fish with only live skipjack. Then we began to cut fillet of skipjack ,and we would throw the heads and tails back in. One night I caught a big 42 lber and when I cleaned her ,she had 7 skippies in her stomach . Two whole skipjack and 4 heads and 1 tail that we had thrown back in the water. After making this discovery, I began to fish with heads all the time, I caught more big rockfish this way than most others combined. I fished there from 1983 to 1991. I caught 50 large stripers during this time period, all of them over 20lbs. I didn't keep up with the ones smaller than 20 lbs. I fish with heads all the time now. If I'm fishing for large blues, I like bluegil heads. If I'm fishing for stripers, I use skipjack heads. I do use cut bait of skipjack, but I have found that I get more bites and catch less fish. But when I'm fishing with heads and One takes it he is usually a good one. And I live for my next biggun!!!!!

PB-striper=45 lbs.
    PB-Hybrid=12 lbs
    PB-Bluecat=47.9 Lbs
    Pb-Flathead=32 lbs.........My Uncle landed a 58 lb striper at the steamplant in 1990. There are much bigger ones out there.

6. tntitans21399

tntitans21399 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    When you fished at night did you fish at night during the winter or summer or both?

7. john catfish young

State:
    Kentucky
    I n the winter months I would arrive at 4:00pm and fish til 12:00 pm. In the summer months I would arrive at 4:00 pm and fish all night. In the winter I fished mainly for stripers. In the summer I fished mainly for flatheads at the skimmer wall area.

8. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Are the skips in there now. I have been driving all the way to dover and cumberland city to get mine. I haven't seen many blues come outa there. are you fishing suspended for the blues or bottom fishing?

9. john catfish young

State:
    Kentucky
    The skips are in there now. I stay in contact with an old friend who never misses a chance to rub my nose in the fact that I moved away in 1992. I haven't fished the Gallatin steamplant since then. I fish mostly at cumberland city now and also below Kentucky Dam to catch my stripers. I catch my cats at Barkley Lake... But the same ol' Cumberland river channel runs through both towns. Old Hickory is the "silent giant" I believe that there are world records swimming there of stripers....flatheads...... blues....channels too. But that is just my opinion. Have you heard of the monsters being caught near Cunninghams Island? An Island across from a bluff with a flat that extends off the Island that literally explodes at midnight sometimes. Monster fish. Big secret. A mile or two up river from the mouth of Bledsoe creek. You should really explore this further!

10. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Fished the steam plant this morning, skips were biting although not in great numbers. Had to go all the way to the discharge before we found them. 6 to 12 inches in size. Used a sabiki rig and some hand tied flies.

11. turfman

turfman New Member

State:
    SC
    can anyone tell me what town the gallatin steam plant is close to. I cant find it at all on my map. I am from nc also and would like to come up just to catch some skips for the freezer to try down here on some of these lakes.

eddie

12. john catfish young

State:
    Kentucky
    The Gallatin Steamplant is in Gallatin Tennessee. It is on Steamplant road. A six mile road that deadends at the steamplant. Cant miss it. You can see the 2 stacks from almost 20 miles away, from some directions.

13. john catfish young

State:
    Kentucky
    The Gallatin Steamplant is located on Old Hickory Lake. The Ol Cumberland river channel.

14. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Did you have any luck with anything else or were you just looking for bait?

15. tntitans21399

tntitans21399 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Turfman, Gallatin Steam Plant, 1499 Steam Plant Rd, Gallatin, TN. Just put that into Google Maps and it will show you right where it is. Their is a public boat ramp right across the channel from it that I was thinking about trying out, but by the satellite pick I don't think it has a dock.

I went with some friends last year and we where in a center console (like what the TWRA have), and you need to watch the depths as you leave to channel and going to the steam plant cove. In the cove your good, but I think their is a shallow sand bar before you get to it, or at least the way we came in.

16. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    ya I have found those spots where it is 10 inches deep a couple of times I usaully kick up the motor and troll in really slow its ruff getting in and out If theres a better way I would love to know about it

17. john catfish young

State:
    Kentucky
    Yeah, there is a sand bar that runs many boats a ground. Once you learn where the channel is you can run right on in fast. The channel runs right in beside the little island. All areas there are good to fish...... bye the way.

18. ironcat

ironcat New Member

State:
    indiana
    I plan on going down to the gallatin Steamplant in mid january. Hopefully this will be a good time to catch both a decent striper and a blue. I have heard that this steamplant is a good place to fish in the winter. I hope it is because me and my buddies are coming down from Indy.Maybe someone could give me some advice on this area before I make the journey.Are the skipjack usually hard to find during this time I'm sure they are but Knowing that there is a warm water discharge is a bonus on finding them.What other locations are good to hit in the winter time in tennesse. My buddies and I are dying to make a road trip for some winter cats and Skipjack. Hell if we came home with a bunch of skipjack we would all get are fix!
    THANKS IRONCAT
    (From the Hoosier State)

19. petersoutcats

petersoutcats New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    John your letting the cat out of the bag:big_smile:
    I hooked a monster blue last winter down stream from the Gal. steam plant (right at dusk), but lost him at the boat.
    I usually catch the skippies first light at the mouth of the plant discharge stream, with yellow or white small jigs tied 3 in a row together.
    Its really good fishing at the other side of the river too.

20. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Skips were good yesterday, had a blast with a flyrod.