Gallatin Steam Plant - Free Advice

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by Matt Smith, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Matt Smith

Matt Smith New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    For those of you who are thinking of making a trip to the steam plant, allow me to offer some advice.

1. Treat the area as a no wake zone. Especially on weekends. When you are nearing the mouth of the canal, turn your outboard off and use the trolling motor to get to your spot.

2. If you intend to go all the way to the discharge, at least use the trolling motor to go past the people at the mouth of the canal. If you forget or just don't have a trolling motor on your boat, driving by with your bow five feet out of the water DOES NOT constitute a "No-Wake" speed!

Outboards cause the fish to scatter. This is interpreted by many as "turning off the fish". In the canal, the fish have nowhere to go, so it's ok to idle on through. At the mouth, however, fish can scatter over a large area. This causes the catching (hehe) to slow down for 5-15 minutes.

3. As you approach the mouth, pay special attention to any boats anchored up. Many times they will be fishing with several lines out. Many of those lines have balloons attached. Running through those lines is bad for both parties.

I watched two guys have a cussing match the other day. It could've been prevented with a little consideration from both anglers. Also consider that other anglers and children don't want or need to hear a cussing match.

4. The steam plant has a ramp nearby that allows easy access (i. short trip by water) to those with kayaks, pond boats, and smaller jon boats. That ramp drops off right into the channel. It is NOT a good ramp for bass boats and other similarly sized vessels. The best ramp is at Bull Creek where Flipper's bait shop is located right off 109 on Odom's Bend Rd.

2. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Another really good piece of advice would be to not fish on the weekends ...but fish during the week and fish after dark when most of the weekend warriors have gone home. This is when we used to catch the really big stripers there.:cool2:

3. TN-CATFISHER

TN-CATFISHER New Member

State:
    Cannon County, Middle TN
    Good advice from both. Thanks.

4. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I fish it but don't have a trolling motor, but I try to stay as far away as I can. I went last week end I and I will never go there again on a weekend those people fishing in there were a@#$%%$#.

5. TN-CATFISHER

TN-CATFISHER New Member

State:
    Cannon County, Middle TN
    LOL :smile2: So if any of you remember the guy without the trolling motor :wink:

6. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I always give the wave to everyone, but nobody would and a one guy was screaming at a amature in my boat who casted over his line when they were the ones who came up next to my boat. It just made me mad because I was trying to get a guy into fishing and he was learning to cast and someone had to pretty much cuse him over something like that.

7. TN-CATFISHER

TN-CATFISHER New Member

State:
    Cannon County, Middle TN
    Just messin with you Chris :p

8. blazerjet

blazerjet New Member

State:
    indiana
    Yea the place gets packed plus i still thank the best fishing there is at night big fish are up in there then. One more time thanks for all the skip good place.

9. john catfish young

State:
    Kentucky
    When I lived in Gallatin...I fished there all the time at night. After everyone would leave. That place hasn't changed in 20 yrs. There were times when I was in a argument or two. There are some real idiots out there at times. I witnessed fights where there were knifes pulled out. I witnessed one guy with a gun who was pissed because some one was in "His " spot. I even saw tires flattened in the parking lot because some one came in from out of town and made the mistake of getting in someones favorite spot. The one thing that got me the most was when a man was found dead with a gun shot to the back of the head. It was ruled a suicide because the gun was a homeade gun and was left on the ground by the victim with no fingerprints on it. It was in all the papers back in the late 80's or early 90's. There was also a time when 2 bass fishermen was reeling in there lures and hung into something heavy. After a quick tug it came loose and when they got it in there was a big chunk of hair and scalp. They turned it into the local authorities and it was found to be human hair. I think they said it was from a blond female. This was also in the late 80's or early 90's. So if you venture out to the Gallatin Steamplant...wait until most everyone has gone home and then you can have the place almost all to your own.After it all quites down a bit ..the big ones move in and you can really score on some nice fish!!!!!:crazy:

10. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    as for the boats at the steam plant yes they do couse the fish to run off an hide just about every time up to cumberland city i see some idit pull his boat up in the canal an the fish turn off for about 10 min. or so its prety bad they were going all the way up in there to catch skip jacks an not catching an thing im setting out by the mouth an catching all that i want maybe one of these day they will learn an if i was told right they have outlawed going up in there at the cumberland steam plant so maybe in need to get the local dnr number the next time

11. john catfish young

State:
    Kentucky
    You are right at the Cumberland city steamplant you are not supposed to bring your boat up in the channel at all. There is a sign at the entrance of the river there.