Gaff or Net?

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by quadrunner42029, Jun 10, 2009.

1. quadrunner42029

quadrunner42029 Member

State:
    NC
    who prefers a big landing net to a gaff? by gaffing the fish i mean either from outside of mouth in bottom jaw or in corner of mouth i dont mean kill the fish. I personally prefer our 4 foot gaff for big ones it takes up alot less room than a net and there spines dont get tangled in it and make a giant mess. Also we can leave fish on our gaff while unhooking stick scales on the gaff and weigh them then simply turn gaff upside down and fish slides right off unharmed other than small hole in the mouth.

2. Deepwater1

Deepwater1 New Member

State:
    Toccoa, GA
    I carry both on my boat. I prefer to use a 6 foot gaff on large flats or blues. For smaller fish I prefer a rubber net.

Curt

3. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    why in the hell would you use a gaff on a fish you plan to release??? get a gripper with a long handle... just grab the flatheads by the mouth .. they wont hurt you...:angry:

4. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    lol

5. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj
    I either use fish grips or a net, I would only use a gaff if i was keeping the fish.:cool2:

6. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I don't use either one. Just my hands. I carry a net, but don't use it on catfish.

7. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I release or give away all the fish I catch so I would not use a gaff. I have a gaff and a net, but I never take either because it is just more stuff to pack to the river bank. I have caught blues up to #50 from the bank and have never had a problem getting them up on the bank.

8. quadrunner42029

quadrunner42029 Member

State:
    NC
    it said i gaff them in the mouth so the fish is unharmed im pretty sure they can recover from a 1/4" hole in the mouth, if not then i wouldnt use the gaff i only cpr i dont like nets and after u have a few big ones roll with one hand in their mouth and twist your wrist up that gets old quick or try to take a few fingers with them when they take off.

9. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I gaff spoonbill and some cats I ease the gaff in the mouth and hook the lower jaw being its stainless steel I cant see how it hurts em any worse then a reg steel hook covered with bacteria I aloso use nets and got gloves. Alot depends on if I got help or not. No way in hell am i leanen over the boat in the Mo river to grab a fish that could pull me off the boat lol. That could turn out very bad for me if I am by myself @ 3 in the morn.

10. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    it said i gaff them in the mouth so the fish is unharmed im pretty sure they can recover from a 1/4" hole in the mouth, if not then i wouldnt use the gaff i only cpr i dont like nets and after u have a few big ones roll with one hand in their mouth and twist your wrist up that gets old quick or try to take a few fingers with them when they take off.

Dang, I think I'd just give up fishing. Wonder if a person would rather be netted or gaffed, after all, it is only a 1/4" hole. LOL Just my opinion, buy gaffs should only be used on salt water fish that has a mouthful of teeth. Everything else (except turtles and snakes) should be by hand or net.

11. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    im crazy , i hear dont mouth them but, i got a 15 pounder and horsed im up, it cut me but thats it, in fact i put my hand in its mouth and it clameped down but it doesent hurt, now a 50 i dont know,there mouth dosent have a place to grab like a flathead, its to jagged and they thrash to much but ill go in and horse a 50, with a glove i got, no net or gaff for me, unless im on a boat

12. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    Strong jaws, rough lips that can tear you up, a hook in there somewhere (and maybe another one slinging around somewhere depending on how we're fishing) and those fins - I don't think i'm going to stick my hand down there. Plus, in our little john boat it's difficult to move around like that to get in a position to grab a fish like that, and in the pontoon, you've got to lean over the railing.

A net is the way for me. Quick and simple, and enough reach to get the fish without almost falling out of the boat. Plus it's a lot easier when they really want to run for it when they get close to the boat, and you don't have to get them in a certain position to grab them like with hand or gaff. I rarely have any problems getting them out, the only problem I may have is the hook getting caught in the net. I use PVC pipe mounted on the cooler for a net holder, it holds the net vertically and out of the way while fishing.

13. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I prefer a net over a gaff anyday. No need to poke holes in the fishes mouth....some of which will allow bacteria to fester and with the already contaminated waters.....some fish would probably die off afterwards......:wink:JMO

14. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    i have to agree with john catfish young i always use a net

15. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Where did you guys get the idea that catfish are so delicate? :roll_eyes:

16. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    lol had a few 1/4 inch holes poked in me and I was fine. Sorry couldent help myself. :smile2:

17. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i use a net. To me it is faster, easier, and safer than a gaff.
    I have a big catfish/muskie net that i have fit fish upto 65lbs in. I even net the big gar i catch sometimes. They are a pain, but I just take the extra few min and untangle the net from their teeth.
    I am not saying that gaffing is bad, it is just something else that would be in the way more than it would be worth.

18. mmarcum6

mmarcum6 New Member

State:
    Tenneessee
    I either net or hand grab with some tough cut resistant gloves. I prefer the gloves and have used them several times. I also purchased a fish gripper from wild wolf products that works good, but sometimes the cats don't understand they are supposed to open their mouth and say Ahhhh. With the glove I can usually force a finger in then get the mouth opened up them when you clamp down and they feel it they clamp down.

19. powerwagon

powerwagon New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Well im guna step on your toes with this one girls...
    I dont pussy foot around with my food. I gaff the **** out of em:wink: my net is for the other small fish.

20. bulethed

bulethed New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    A gaff is illeagle in okla. so a net works for me:cool2:

Bill.