G3 vs. War Eagle Boats

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by mrc, May 22, 2006.

1. mrc

mrc New Member

State:
    SC
    Any comments? I'm looking at both for a cat boat. Thinking about a 17ft. center console. Any opinions?

2. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

From my research a Wareagle is much easier to customize at the factory level.

3. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    mrc,have you looked at marine service in rock hill sc,tommy sells g3 and xpress and can put or make just about anything for them that you would want or need

4. rsimms

rsimms New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    G3 all the way. No doubt War Eagle makes a great boat, if you've got the money. But for the money I don't think you can beat G3. I have a 17-foot side console deluxe. If you go 17-foot, I think you'll prefer side console. Center console in that size boat is a pain to maneuver around. If you go to a much larger boat, center console may be OK. But in smaller boats I don't like them. Of course that's just my opinion...

5. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    War Eagle didn't impress me much - I considered War Eagle, G3 and Xpress; ended up buying an Xpress 18ft side-console because it had a bigger livewell and more features than the other two.

But G3 was a strong contender and I'm going to reconsider once their 2007 models come out - the dealer tells me they've got some big changes in the deep-vee models which is what I think I'm interested in now - I want something I can put a canopy and side curtains on so I can fish in the cold weather!

Whatever boat you decide on, be sure to think about how you'll set it up for catfishing - if you fish in river current at all, you need to be able to fish from the rear of the boat comfortably. My side console makes that difficult.

Get the biggest boat you can afford - you'll still find that you "need" something bigger once you get on the water, but spend the money now and come closer to being happy.

6. Majesticman

Majesticman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have a G3 Tunnel and I am happy with it. My next one (if I can get it past the wife) will be a Sea Ark Tunnel because of the large fuel tank up front and the large bait well in front of the console. They ride much better and have more storage.

7. dcmust

dcmust New Member

State:
    missouri
    I have a g3 hp 170 it isnt a jon boat but more like a bass boat but I love it.Have had no problems and when I bought it the dealer said there owned by yamaha and have a great customer service.

8. brushpile

brushpile New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I purchased a 1860 Side Console G3 with 90hp Yamaha in December. I looked hard over Xpress, War Eagle and G3. War Eagle seemed to be the highest price in my area, followed by Xpress. G3 and Lowe seem to be very similar and I know that they are both made in Lebanon, MO. I even heard that the guy who started G3 before they were bought by Yamaha started or was a "higher up" at Lowe. I believe Lowe is now owned my Mercury.

My G3 is all welded except where they rivet the floor and side panels in. I already have a few rivets popping out and the boat has leaked a litte bit of water since the day I bought it. I just found the leak two days ago by filling the boat up with a little water. It looks like there are 3 or 4 pin holes on the bottom of the hull that were caused when one of the ribs was welded in. Spoke with G3 this morning and they said they will do what it takes to make sure I'm satisfied. More to follow...

Overall the boat is hard to beat for the money and I'm sure they will follow take care of me on the leak and rivets...I'll post again when the problem is solved.....

I probably would have went with Xpress but they were about $3000 more for the same engine and similar sized boat. They did have a few nicer options but I like it that I have tons of floor room in my G3 for decoys, trotline buckets, etc....

9. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    G3 Boat here, I pick it up on Thursday. Repowered it to an Evinrude E-Tec :smile2:

10. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    What no one mentioned SeaArk? I have a 24ft SeaArk with cabin and its tough to beat. I bought my boat from a dealer who catfished and modified it accordingly. It had about 50 hours on it when I got it. Its Be....U...TI...FUL(actually I call it the green monster) and tough. SeaArk has made boats including rescue boats for years and has their act together. I paid a lot for mine because of all the customized features(large livewell, rod rack across the back etc) but most of the money was for the fourstroke that drives it. I have put this baby thru the gauntlet and its one TOUGH son of a gun. See ya on the water!(me and the monster) G3 and WarEagle vs SeaArk....SeaArk wins!

11. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'm seriously looking at Lowe, Crestliner, and G3. I have a local dealer for Lowe, went down to Lake Shelbyville at a Marina to look at Crestliner yesterday. I am going to Canton Il. Thursday to look at G3. Initial contacts give prices of around 28k for the Lowel with 150hp, 24k for the Crestliner with a 115, and dont know for the G3. Any information you all can give about these boats would be appreciated.

12. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    On the boat price. You have to price them the same. If your buying a chicken. And one is $1.46 and weights 3 lbs. And the other one is $1.75 buy weights 5 lbs. that is like boats.
    When I was looking and I did a lot of looking. War-Eagles did not cost as much for standard boat as any other boat. And some were higher then war-eagle.
    But with war-eagle you get what you ask for not what the boat company will allow you to have.
    Also for the one that went with a different boat. Because it had a bigger live well/. i dought you checked out war-eagle right. As they will build the size live well you need. Up to 6ft across and big enough for you to lay in.
    Or as my boat with the side console I could have gotten a live well that was close to 5ft long and 14" tall and 20" wide. So I dought yours would have been bigger than that.

Also check on the ride. AS a 6 degree hull will not ride with a 12 degree War-Eagle. But as I have posted more then I care to remember. I own 2 war-eagles. And would look at Sea-ARk if i were looking again. AS they have a 15 degree hull now. And the ride is one thing that you will always wish you had when in rough water.
    On a 17ft boat theres not a lot of room so get in one before getting one with a center console.
    Try out all the boats your looking at, And then decide. If I have to replace the 20ft boat. next time I may have a Alumacraft Tournament Pro 185 with a tiller motor. More room and a great boat.
    The only reason I don't have one now. We were going to have to fly to the factory in Mn to see one.
    Pete

13. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I'm planning on a new boat purchase next year. I've started looking at what I want on a boat and which boat is best suited for my personal fishing needs. I really think that is the key, Personal Fishing Needs. I know a few things that I absolutely must have on my new boat and I know a few things I think I want on my new boat. I have looked at G3, War Eagle, Express, Alumicraft, and Grizzley. Like others have said, G3 is a good value but in my area at least, the dealers really push a Yamaha motor package with the G3 and I'm not sure I want to go Yamaha. I really like the Express but their expensive in my opinion. I want a boat I can get built to my specifications and it looks like War Eagle or a custom boat manufacture may the way to go. I want a modified V hull for a smooth ride and to keep the boat stable when anchored in current. I want at least 17' and leaning toward 18'. I want consoul steering but can't decide if I want center or side. I want a wide flat top rail. I want a large deep livewell with plumbing for circulation and forced fresh water intake. I want at least an 18 gallon built in fuel tank and I know I want the stern section of the boat as open as possible. A semi-raised casting deck in front is ok. I want a good solid bow mount for a trolling motor. I want as much open floor space as possible for coolers, tackle, and extra items we all take fishing with us. I am leaning heavly toward a Nessan Outboard in the 40 to 50hp range. I want aluminum flooring and sides. I don't want any carpet in the boat at all but I do want something that will keep the metal cool to the touch. Am I dreaming? I don't think so. I just want a boat that fits my everyday fishing needs and can function as a family fun boat if desired.

14. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    G3 Boats is a Yamaha company. I don't think you can buy a G3 without a Yamaha motor. But as far as I'm concerned, Yamaha is one of, if not *the* best motor on the market. Suzuki might be as good or a little bit better but certainly not by much.

15. Catfish_Commando

State:
    Georgia
    Terry,

I am picking up a G3 boat on thursday or friday this week, it is being re-powered for an Evinrude Etec. They can do it if you ask them, or at least here they supported the exchange.

16. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    I would like to see some pictures of the green monster.

17. Bill_Gibbs

Bill_Gibbs New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I pickup a 1860 CCT next Thursday it has taken the dealer since April 1st to get it! Being in NW Iowa dealers are very limited. I ordered from Hanney’s Marine in MN. Price wise I did a lot of comparison shopping for over 2 years and went with the G3 and a Yamaha 50HP 4 stroke.
    The anticipation is just about killing me talk about can’t wait.:big_smile:

18. brushpile

brushpile New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Update to my G3 problem. I took my boat (5 months old) into my dealer today to leave it so they could fix the leak (poor weld) and replace the rivets that are popping out. So I show my dealer the pin holes and he stated that it looks like burn through where the rib was welded in and that he will call G3 and recommend that they make the repair at the factory vs. at the dealer. I call G3 to ask about the hull warranty b/c I'm starting to question the durablility of this boat.

The lady over the warranty dept recongnized my name and said she just got off the phone with my dealer. She told me that it was unacceptable that my boat had rivets popping out of the floor plate and that it had several "pin holes" of burn through that was causing the boat to leak.

Get this,....she said that they are looking for a new boat just like mine to replace my boat. I feel a lot better about G3 today than I did yesterday. If they follow through with what they have told me today, I will be a satisfied customer. It's all about what takes place after the sale and it looks like G3 may be one of the few companines left that are committed to satisfying their customers.

More to follow

19. Catfish_Commando

State:
    Georgia
    Brian,

Nice to hear about a boat company stepping up tp the plate after the sale. Hope everything works out to your satisfaction.

Paul

20. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    Guys I bought a G3 1860 cc with a 90 hp Yamaha 2 stroke about 14 months ago. I fish real hard and often. Below is how I rate the boat and it's features on a scale of 1-10.
    motor-10
    livewell-7
    storage-3
    accessability to wiring-3
    room-8
    stern access/room-3
    ride-2
    steering/handling-3
    overall sturdyness-5
    In summation I will say that the Yamaha is flawless. I would buy another today. I would not however buy another G3 boat unless some of the weak areas were improved.

whatever it takes

Cheez