G3 "Gator Tough" Jon?

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Mr.T, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Anybody here own a G3 jon boat? (I tried to search first, but the silly "search" function here won't let you search on a 2-letter word like "G3"...)

Trying to make sure I've considered all possible "contenders" for my new boat, and at first glance, it looks like the G3 "Gator Tough" jon boats are just about identical to the Lowe Roughneck and SeaArk "Classic" series. But I don't know anything else about the G3 boats.

Wondering what anyone knows about the quality, durability, etc. of the G3 boats?

Price wise, they seem a little bit cheaper than the Lowe and a tad more expensive than the Tracker Grizzly. The side console has a little bit larger livewell than the others, but it's a bit narrower in beam than the rest.

Any comments would be appreciated.

2. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    If I'm not mistaken...the Yamaha motor company owns G3. Try Googling g3boats and see what happens. ;)

3. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Thanks - I don't have any trouble finding their web site, I just can't use the search feature on the BOC forums to see if anyone has commented on G3 boats previously.

4. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    Mr.T, I have a g3 185 angler and I love it. I had a 18ft.g3 tunnel hull that I really liked, it just didn't have enough room. Get the biggest boat you can afford because you can never have enough room...

5. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Check my pic's of my G3 (Kutters Katter) in the photo section. It's a G3 1860 DLX Center Console.

6. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Mr.T,
    You might want to find some time to go to the sports show this week. There is a display of G3 boats. Brian is right they are owned by yamaha. Nice looking boat made in Mo I think. saw so many boats its easy to get confused.

there is also a sea ark display as well as lowe.

7. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Thanks Brad -- I'm headed down there Saturday. But from what I can tell in talking to some of the dealers, most are only taking their high-end boats for display at the show.

There's a seminar on river catfishing on Friday afternoon but I won't be able to get away from work to go see it. We'll fight the mobs of people on Saturday morning I guess...

8. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Yea there are some HIGH dollar boats up there!!!! I was on a big cabin cruzer that was $200,000!!!!!! CRAZY!!!!! just once i'd like to have more money then sense.....lol

I didn't pay particular attention to the G3 jons, but was on a G3 pontoon. seemed like a very well made boat.

There is also the Sea Ark Big Daddy center console up there. what a huge boat, but I'm sure it has a HUGE price tag as well.

If nothing else you can at least look at the over all quality of a particular manf. line of boats. Might not have the particular model your looking for but you should be able to get a feel for how well they are made.

I'm glad I went tues it was not busy, going back Friday to see the blue cat seminar. bet its jammed saturday, even worse if its cold out.

9. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    I have an '04 1860 SC Gatortough. I went with a 50hp Yamaha, Should have gone BIGGER! :cursing: Had a hard time getting on plane due to weight distribution issues. Installed a whale tail, PROBLEM SOLVED. It's a very sound very stable well constructed boat, just wish it was 2' longer. :p I will say this though, it's definitely NOT a rough water boat! Then again not many jons are.

10. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    I have a 2005 1860 cc with a 65/90 hp yamaha jet drive,and also got the lower foot so i can run a prop. This is my 2nd g3,and all i can say is i love my boat,but what ever rig you get by the most hp.you can afford,a under powered boat is a PITA.

11. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I've fished off and spent the night many times on a 1860 G3 with a yammer hammer 90 horsepower 4 stroke.
    Not a bad boat except the rear deck and the close proximity of the console to the rear deck. Lack of storage sucks.
    It's aluminum and the hull slap doesnt help the fishing.
    Other then those nuances I haven't found anything wrong with this one other then it doesn't get used enough and the motor isn't cared for like it should be or it would crank right up when it got dumped in the water.
    Not bad for 12 grand new.

12. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Mr. T,
    I'll answer your PM here, if you don't mind.

No problem on the questions. Hope I can help, but I can’t answer in short simple answers. It just ain’t my way. LOL
    I spent nearly two years searching the internet for the best boat for catfishing the Mississippi River. Found out real soon that there is no such boat out there. To many variables for different situations. We all fish a little different and need different things for our boat to do. Thus, I decided to put my own ideas together and come up with what was right for me. I needed a boat that could handle the big rivers. Fishing out there at night alone is scary enough, I needed a boat that would leave me feeling confident in getting me back home safely. One that would handle trees and other junk floating down river. One that would be deep enough to make me feel safe, yet shallow enough to get me up in the backwaters. I knew it would have to be all welded aluminum. My first choice was the SeaArk models, they are built a bit heavier and can handle more. Unfortunately, they were working on a large government contract and wouldn’t be able to build mine for nearly a year. Plus, they cost nearly twice the amount. My second choice was the G3’s. Skeeter Boats out of Lebanon, MO make them or at least did when I got mine. I knew 18 ft was roughly the size I wanted. I had never had a center console before, but had been in one once while being guided by James Patterson in TN. I like the idea then and now I would NEVER go back to a side console model again. The 1860 model is 18 ft and has a 60-inch width at the bottom and 72 inch width at the top. It has a 28 inch sides and transom. I have found that it would have been better had I gotten one that was a tad bit wider, like maybe 72-inch bottom. That other 6 inches on each side would help in walking around the console. That’s as close to a complaint as I can find. It has been perfect for me. It can handle motors from 40hp to 90hp. I already had the old 1986 50hp Johnson that I was happy with, so I kept it for this boat. It can plane out in about 20 ft after adding a Dol-fin and runs wide open at about 30 mph, fully loaded. With two large batteries in the back well, it only had room for a 12-gallon gas tank. I would prefer had their been room for a bit bigger tank, but as it is, I can go about 50-60 miles in it. A larger motor would be fine, but the trade off would be less distance due to the tank size. Only once did I find myself running low on gas and worried about getting back.
    The seats I mounted on the front, as you saw in the pictures, are where they are for a reason. All fishing on the river is anchored out and fishing down stream. With the seats where they are, it is perfect for watching the rods in the rod holders. You are right, the livewell is too small for large catfish. Not a big problem in my case. I practice Catch & Release 90% of the time and use the livewell for a bait tank. If I decide to keep a few for home, I throw them on ice.
    I mounted six rod holder bases on each side, although I only carry a few holders with me, enough for how many rods are being used that trip. I have found that different situations need different locations for the holders and what I mounted seems to work out best. I can put six on one side when drift fishing, although I do that mostly on large lakes, not the rivers. When anchored on a river, both fishermen can have their rods set where they want on their side of the boat. Incidentally, I mounted an extra mounting hole for a shorter “anchor” light pole, on the console. With the forward side blacked out, it lights up the rod tips perfectly without blinding me while I am sitting waiting for a bite.
    The center console allows for using rod holder storage in an upright position on either side of the console. This is what one would find on most saltwater center consoles and works great for keeping the rods out of the way when not being used. (I HATE rods and such on the floor, it’s just asking for rods to get broke or to trip over them and fall overboard.)
    I can’t tell you if the deal you found is great or not, that’s up to you and what you want. We all have different needs. I’ve had mine now for about 4-5 years and other than maybe a newer motor, I ain’t changing. John Allen (Jetdriver) has a G3 similar to mine but is the larger size with a much larger motor. He loves it, but is looking for an even bigger one. Being in his is when I really noticed that I wish mine were wider. LOL

Whatever you get, do yourself a favor and on your first trip out, run it up on some rocks. Get the scratches and a good dent in it. That way you won’t spend all your time out on the water worrying about such things. Best to just go ahead and get them over with and out of the way. LOL

13. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I'll tell you something to watch for on a center console.
    You want room enough on each side of the console to slide a good sized cooler from the front of the boat to the back.
    If you got that much room you wont have a problem navigating your body around it .
    The whole idea for a center console in fishing is to be able to fight fish around the boat without having obstructions in the way such as side consoles, windshields, and seating.

As far as seating on the 1860 G3 what we have found works best is the folding camp chairs you can buy anywhere.
    If it were my boat I would buy the folding boat chairs that have the white heavily padded seating, back support and has arm rests.. They sell for a 100 a piece.
    What makes these type chairs in a boat this size is that you arent stuck in one spot with a pedestal mounted seat. You can arrange them as needed or fold and store as not needed or just kick them out of the way if you are fighting a fish.
    The 100 dollar chairs are more comfortable , easier to sit in , easier to get out of , and offer more support to your spine.
    The 1860 fishes 3 people comfortably in this manner and real comfortable with just 2.

14. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Thanks for the great information, Mark and Kutter (and the others who've replied here). It sounds like G3 is a good quality boat. So I think I'll investigate them a bit further.