G.Loomis=No more blanks

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Catpaw, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    By the end of this year, custom rod builders and customers throughout the world will lose one of the most highly regarded blanks in the industry. In a news release dated April 23, 2009, G.Loomis, long considered the industry benchmark for rods in North America, announced their decision to exit the custom rod blank business so they can focus on expanding their finished rods business globally.

It was just a few short years ago, where I was quite excited over the fact G.Loomis made the decision to re-release a small selection of their GLX blanks and was hoping they’d expand the selection someday to include the BCR blanks as well as the MBR842 (one of my absolute favorite rods in their lineup). But instead, today we find out quite the opposite is true

In the press release, Bruce Holt, executive director at G.Loomis made the following statement:

“This is a very difficult decision for all of us here at G.Loomis, especially since making custom rod blanks for steelhead anglers was how we got our start as a fishing tackle company back in the ‘80’s. While we realize there’s an avid following among custom rod makers for our blanks, the growth we’ve experienced on a worldwide basis for our finished rods – and especially our fly rods with both fly tackle dealers in the U.S. and abroad - makes this the right decision and direction for our business success in the future.”

The company has invested in upgrades to their Woodland, WA facility and in training for current staff in an effort to make improvements in all areas of the company. Holt continued in his statement by adding, “Our production plans include manufacturing custom rod blanks through the end of 2009, and then our complete focus will be on finished rods. Our efforts at the plant over the past few months and this decision to exit the custom blank business prepares us well for when the global economy rebounds.”

So where does that leave the custom rod builder and customer? St. Croix, Phenix Rods, Lamiglas, among a select few others will hopefully continue to offer their blanks to those who prefer to roll their own, but the loss of G.Loomis in this market segment will be significant. Personally, I’m more than just a little disappointed. Considering how conservative G.Loomis has remained with their finished rod designs, the custom wrapping route was the next best alternative to having a very stylish rod built on one of their blanks. Now that they are abandoning this segment, and removing this option, it may be time I abandon their product all together until they update some of their designs - at the very least, remove the foregrips on their bass rods.

Well, if in the past G.Loomis can re-release their GLX blanks, maybe at some point in the future, they’ll find the resources to back up on this decision as well and reopen the doors to the custom market. For now, it’s on to other resources.

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    That is sad news for sure. I have two of their bass rods and they are tops on performance and sensitivity.

3. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Your right Mickey they are GREAT rod's .I hate to see them leave the market, I have a couple of bass rod's also and i use one for both bass & channel cat's there's no cover i can't pull them out of with that rod.

4. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    g-loomis products are way over priced anywere i have ever seen them... they have an outlet here in evansville and the place is pretty well a ghost town when all the other tackle shops are busy..

5. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    They can be a bit pricey but there alot cheaper than a custom made rod and every bit as good.

6. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Yup the G loomis blanks are going away..
    and James a custom rod is just that its custom, a lot of times its made from the same blank as off the shelf rods,, It is custom made to what YOU want, the rods on the market are made for a variety of people so most times they fit a lot of different styles of fishing, some specialized, The custom rod is better becouse it fits exactly what you as a individual want, handle placement, grip style and shape , rod eye, lenght, action and power ,,etc...Just check out the custom rods Kenny "Flamekeeper" just finished not only are they great fishing rods but they are works of art,,,:wink:
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109471
    Puddle
    "Puddle Jumper Custom Rods"

7. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    John your right about the custom rod's ...I might of word it that wrong ...lol ... As i own quite a few custom made rod's myself and prefer them over any store bought pole.

8. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    No question Loomis makes fine rods. Are they worth the $$$,,,not to me. I'll buy St. Croix and just keep doing what i've been doing. I used a buddies Loomis in the winter jerk bait fishing and didn't like it any better than my Claris made by Shimano. Fraction of the cost too.