G.Loomis for Channels?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by sherlockian, Apr 9, 2008.

1. sherlockian

sherlockian New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Can anyone recommend a G.Loomis rod that would be appropriate for channel cats? I have several G.Loomis rods for Bass, and would like to have just one for cats. I mainly use Berkley Big Game and Glowsticks for cats, but would like to have one really nice rod and reel setup for channels when kayaking or wading streams. Kinda like having a driveway full of Silverados, with a Vette in the garage for Sunday spins after Church. I have an Abu Garcia Record 50 that needs a rod. I don't want to get into the GLXs, maybe IMX, but probably GL3 or GL2. I don't think I need super sensitivity for channels. I do have a couple that I have thought about using, one is a MBR783C IMX(6'6" MH fast) and the other is a BCR803 Mossyback(6'8" MH extra-fast). I appreciate any advice ya'll can offer.

2. mustad1

mustad1 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    get a bucara- they are a light salt rod that is great for cats- come in many different actions. great rods from loomis. beautiful purple color too. almost too pretty to slime up with catfish slime. sensitive too, can feel a channel cat burp with em, but very tough!!!
    Cabelas has em still i think.

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    For channels?
    I wouldn't deviate from the bass gear.
    The bass gear you you have is plenty adequate for channels.

G. Loomis is really the only way to go isn't it?
    In my opinion G. Loomis has the best blanks out there.

4. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Any rod that will catch a bass will catch a channel cat.

5. sherlockian

sherlockian New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Thanks for the advice guys, I have used these rods a few times for channels. I guess I was trying to justify the purchase of a new G.Loomis:wink:, which I did. I ended up buying a GL3 MBR783 and put the Record on it with 15# Big Game. Now when I am out in the yak or on the bank, I have two great setups for channels and bass.

Mark, G.Loomis is the best. They have unequalled products and the best customer service. I broke a rod last year by high sticking it with a big striper(not what I was fishing for). All I did was call the hotline, paid the $50 and had a new rod three days later. I don't know of any company that will replace a rod that the customer broke in error for $50. I just wish they would create a rod line specifically for catfishing. Hopefully with the changing attitude towards catfishing, this is something we could look for in the future.