FYI Winfield Locks will NOT be open

Discussion in 'WEST VIRGINIA RIVER TALK' started by DANZIG, Jun 30, 2009.

1. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Fisherman Access at Winfield Pushed Back

A wet spring and unforeseen problems push back the completion of work at the Winfield Lock and Dam in Putnam County. <SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial; FONT-SIZE: 9pt; mso-bidi-font-size: 13.5pt">

2. hunterhnc20

hunterhnc20 New Member

State:
    Buffalo, West V
    Surprise, Its funny I was just wondering and have been looking to see if it was going to be opening. They are killing me this year. I need some shad and skipjacks and that is the only place I know to get them. A guy told me last Saturday that his buddy got a $250 fine for slipping down there on the rocks fishing so I will not being pushing my luck to go down there.

Does anyone know where to look for or how to caught shad in the river around there? I have a boat and I know how to use a throw net very good. I just always got my bait from the locks and have no idea how to do it anywhere else.

3. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
  4. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    "A guy told me last Saturday that his buddy got a $250 fine for slipping down there on the rocks fishing"

Well now, that is just plain silly! I would think that would just be a "run you off" offence.

5. robcat

robcat New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    yea they should have just ran him off, but I guess they think they need the money worse then we do,after paying taxs and fishing liscens and all.hell Davie Crockett did'nt have to have a hunting or fishing liscens and he could hunt or fish where ever he wanted and probley never got a fine.Lol:smile2:

6. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Just heard that the fishing access is now open!!

Go get 'em! :big_smile:

WINFIELD, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- Fishermen on the Kanawha River won't have to wait much longer to use a new fishing platform at the Winfield Locks and Dam.

According to a news release, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers will re-open the Route 35 fishing access area on Wednesday, July 15 at 8:00 a.m.

The area was closed last October for construction. During the last few months, several improvements were made, including a paved parking area and an access walkway from the parking area to the riverbank. The riverbank was also extended about 700 feet along the shoreline.

The walkway meets federally required accessibility standards, according to the news release. In addition, stone slope protection on the riverbank will improve bank stabilization.....