FYI "Beware of Dog" not good.

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Big Nick, Dec 1, 2005.

1. Big Nick

Big Nick New Member

State:
    McKinney TX
    I was reading the pitbull thread in the high area, and also the thread about the lady who got mauled to death in the Houston area, and I came across something that I thought I would lend my expertise too. I am sure many of you own dogs, and I am sure some of you have BEWARE OF DOG signs in your yard or on your fence. TAKE THEM DOWN.

There is legal presidence in more than one case at work here. Putting up a BEWARE OF DOG sign is an admission of guilt in the eyes of the court. Basically if you have one of these signs up you are admitting that you own a dangerous animal. Even if you have the sweetest dog in the world and he has never bit anyone, please take those signs down. YOU WILL NOT WIN A CASE IF YOU HAVE A SIGN IN YOUR YARD.

I work for an insurance company and we will cover people who have aggressive dogs, its not a problem for us like many other companies. However, even if you only own a weener dog we will not cover you if you have a sign posted on your property. PERIOD. If the sign is posted the court battle is over. Plain and simple, you lose.

Anyhow I though this might be of some use to all of you to help stay out of trouble. I know many people do not want to part with their signs, but beleive me you are only asking for trouble.

2. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Thanks for the advice, Nick. Wonder if that goes for all states?

I own 2 Pomeranians. I don't have a sign and never thought about having one really, even though the male is protective and jealous of ANYONE that comes near me. His name is "Cheryl's Little Man" and he sure is that. He has never been around a lot of children and is very high strung/nervous type of dog. He has even nipped me on occasion when I was clipping his nails or combing him. The female (Angel Pepper) is the exact opposite of him. She is more loving and a lap dog. He only has eyes for me, so I guess I named him correctly. LOL.

They have a fenced in back yard that is theirs. I seldom walk them anymore on a leash. They are so hyper that they really walk me. They live with 3 cats and lead them a happy life at times. Mostly they get along though.

Thanks again for the post. Good to know!

3. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Nick,

Thanks for the info. I find it very sad that signs which are meant for good, ie, a warning to stay out because someone has a dog, can then be turned against the person. Just another sign that our judicial system needs some, cattle prodding or culling.

4. Big Nick

Big Nick New Member

State:
    McKinney TX
    I agree it kinda sucks, but thats the way the law works. Most people have no idea the ramifications of posting those signs. I hope this does convince some of you.

5. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I have 2 dogs, one's a little terrier mix, the other is a Black Lab. No signs posted other than "Please contact owner of property for lock to be removed"
    Thats because the utility companies don't like the lock I put on my OWN fence because someone was letting my dogs out.

6. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    Nick, great point. We have a rug on a doorstep that says "Protected by Rottweiler Security Company", but no Beware of Dog sign. I had heard that a long time ago, that a Beware of Dog sign is considered an admission of harboring a dangerous dog, in the eyes of the courts.

7. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    What if you have a sign that reads "Forget the dog Beware of Owner", LOL!!!

Intresing bit of information, Nick. Thanks for sharing!

8. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks for sharing, Now I can take my "Beware of Wife" sign down now. :p

9. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks for shareing that. Its sad that courts are the way they are now days.
    How about a no Trasspassing sign? LOL.

10. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    Thanks for sharing Nick that is good info, Kinda like if you get into an accident despite everything we have learned with manors all of our lives, do not say "I am sorry" instant admission of guilt whether it was you fault or not and can be held against you in court.

-Brian

11. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    thanks for the tip nick. courts have been getting outa hand for a long time. just plain backwards if you ask me. :confused:

12. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    my sign reads:
    BEWARE
    OF
    DOG$^%#

i dont want some one to step in one of our frankies many works of art!:p

thanks for the heads up though! i would have thought the opposite
    guess that shows how unsafe we can be trying to be safe.

13. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    DRC, LOL. That dog looks like its saying in a deep voice, DAaaaaaaaa yyyooouu want a play. I'll lick you if you scratch me. LOL
    I like beagles or hound dogs, which ever he is.

I see your point. scat is more dangoures. In some case's :D

14. Big Nick

Big Nick New Member

State:
    McKinney TX
    Glad to see that everyone took the time to read this and take it seriously. Dreadnaught, that sign might get you in a little trouble. It is an admission of guilt that there is a crazy redneck on the premises.LOL

DRC, your sign might be held against you if someone slipps on your dogs mess, you are admitting that there is slippery stuff in your hard.LOL

Ramrod, you better not let your wife know you have that sign.LOL

15. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    I was denied insurance from one company because of the picture they took of my newly bought house and the new 5 foot high fence I had put around the yard, to keep my German Shepherds in. Go figure.

And, my Shepherds were not mean at all. I kept them in, for their protection and to prevent them from being a nuisance to anyone. Seems you just can't do anything right.

16. Big Nick

Big Nick New Member

State:
    McKinney TX
    Sentry, I am an insurance agent and I have never heard of a company not allowing coverage because of a dog fence.

Hey Baitfish, it looks like you have a good pooch there. She looks nice, like a big ole lap dog!

17. Big Nick

Big Nick New Member

State:
    McKinney TX
    Awww, not even a little lap time?
    I have a 65lb lab/doberman and he sits in my lap every now and then.

18. sassafrass

sassafrass New Member

State:
    Big Flat AR.
    I need one that says beware of dogs that will trip you so they could lick ya to death. I know my dogs all wear sighn's that say come on in the house is yours.
    Even the mailman playes with them. I do have to say that if one of my dogs bite someone they would not have to come out and get the dog, I would take care of it myself, thats one thing I do not allow is a dog that will bite.

As for the insurence not covering you if you have a sign, how do they cover posted property or owner will shoot signs?

19. Big Nick

Big Nick New Member

State:
    McKinney TX
    I don't personaly know of any legal presidence that is against it, but if you can get in trouble for having a beware of dog sign, I imagine you can get in trouble for the "owner will shoot" sign. I don't think my company, or many others would cover someones property with that sign up. There is nothing against private property signs or anything of that nature that I know of. I hope this helps.

20. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    Well, it happened. I think it was Allstate. It was back in 1974. We were told that having the dogs fenced in made them mean and more of a liability.