Fuse Size to Use for Light?

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Spider, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    Would appreciate opinions on what size fuse I should use with a spotlight.
    I'm going to put a 12 volt lighter type outlet in my 14' V boat to plug a 200,000 candlepower spotlight in. I saw a spotlight on the internet that sais it had a 10 AMP fuse, is this enough? I'll need this to find and get positioned to use at least one loading ramp that has no lighting at all. I'll probably need it at times to just make sure I heading for land instead of the lake legs channel.
    Thanks,
    Larry

2. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Larry, Most lighter receptacles are rated at 5 amps or less, check the amp rating, it is usually on the package. Check the particulars on the light for how many amps it takes. Wiring should be appropriate for the amp draw as well.

3. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    I wired the 12 volt recepticals (2) with 14 ga wire and fuse the circuit with a 10 AMP square type automotive fuse. This should be fine. The wiring is heavier than the wiring on the light so the most that can really happen it to fry the light wire and in that case the light would have been junk anyway. I can go to a smaaler amp fuse too if I want.
    Thanks,
    Larry

4. DoubleG

DoubleG New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    The spotlight most likely has the 10amp fuse in the 12volt plug. You could replace your 10amp with a 20amp since you used 14ga wire and be ready to operate other devices that a 10amp may not power. I have a 1.5million cp that uses a 20amp. I modified a 14' V and wired everthing with 14ga except the bow mount trolling motor. I have had no problems with tons of hours use.