Furnace...

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by Shortarms, Feb 23, 2007.

1. Shortarms

Shortarms New Member

State:
    Illinois
    My furnace took a dump and I was hoping someone could provide some input. It's a hot water baseboard system. It has an American Standard boiler with an electric water pump mounted outside of it. The pump is short cycling. It used to run for about 10 minutes when the heat kicked on. Now it runs for about 10 seconds then kicks off. When the boiler turns on it makes a gurgling sound. The motor for the water pump is also very hot to touch. Any ideas?

2. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Disconnect the motor from the pump and see how easily they both turn. Could be the motor or the pump. Good place to start. Try running motor while it is disconnected.

3. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    I have similar set up. If the water circ pump is very old you need to replace it. Call your local heater repair and have them change it out. There is a much newer and updated type of pump. It really makes a difference. My pump brand is a tayco. I hope this helps.

4. elalr

elalr New Member

State:
    warsaw missouri
    it sound to me like a motor problem.this could be just the motor or the pump portion. they can be separated and replaced individually. there is also the possibility of the problem originating in the switch that powers the motor on the pump. if the switch is causing the short cycling the pump motor can get hot just the same. if you are mechanically inclined you can test the power to the motor and see if it is continuous or not. if it is continuous, your problem is in the pump. to test the pump look on the motor data tag and it will tell you the amperage the motor should draw.check the pump with an amprobe if the motor draws more than the rating, move on to removing the motor from the pump and retesting. if it is within specified amount when removed replace the pump portion. taco pumps are good but i like bell and gosset pumps. if the system is very old (as in10 years or more) bell and gosset pump is the most common i have seen. direct replacement pumps are the easiest to install. another thing to check is the pump itself has oil ports that need to be refilled annually on bell and gosset pumps. they are just little cups on the pump near the shaft bearings.just lift the lid on the cup and pour in some light weight oil like 3 in 1 oil. sometimes just oiling will cure the problem. hope this helps.

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Sounds like the thermal overload kicking the motor off to me.
    If you have an ampmeter you could check the amps when it comes on.
    Replacing the motor would be a good place to start.

6. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    When's the last time you oiled/greased it? Some shut off when the bearings get too hot.

7. Shortarms

Shortarms New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for the help. It was the motor. Got a replacement motor for $120 and it's probably 1/4 as big 1/100 as loud.