Furbearer records

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by warcraft1975, Aug 12, 2006.

1. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

i was thinking(though i dont do it often)is there such a thing as records for biggest furbears? i think it would be neat if there was

2. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

anyone have any thoughts on this

3. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    To my knowledge (which is not very much) there are no such records keep. I don't know that I have even kept any personal best records for size. I do know that Gooboy has keep up with his personal best on beaver. I don't remember what it weighted, but it was in the 70's I think. I have seen records for price on cats.

4. mattoonboy4

mattoonboy4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Heck, let's just share our own personal best...my biggest beaver was 73 lbs and my biggest coon was 31 lbs. caught the beaver in january '02 on a castor set with drown rig and the coon just last december on a 220 on an old dump pile in a bucket with marshmellows.

5. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

i wonder how hard it would be to start up somthing like that? my personal bests kinds suck really(lol)as far as big ones,even though i did get a female coyote last year that was around the 45 pound mark.i saw a pic of a beaver on another site that was said to be over 140 pounds( a real monstor)which it was spawned this idea,i thought that since there are records keep for pretty much everything else (game animals)that maybe they would be somthing for fuebeavers,maybe i could start up something,i think that would real cool,have it complete with weight and length girth, how knows , i think that would be way cool

6. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I don’t know how much success you would have in getting something like that started, as most of us are out of site out of mind. I know that keep my catch to myself and only talk about it to a couple of good friends. I may show someone a pic of what I caught through the season, but I never talk much about it to anyone.

I don’t feel you will ever see a trapper’s record book as you do B&C, P&Y, or Fishing records. Most people just will not align themselves with trappers. Take for instants the project that XY limited did on predators in the nesting areas. They found that the control area where fur barriers were removed by trappers had something like a 60% increase in nesting success. You have never heard a word about it in any XY limited publications. Trappers stand alone in the sea of sports and the outdoors. We provide a service which is necessary to maintain a healthy population that can co-exist with and around humans. But the general population still wants us to stay out of site out of mind. I kind of like it that way.

So we meet here and talk about our season, our catch, and become friends, because no one else is quite like us. We supply a skill that needs no record books, only our personal goals meet each and every season.

7. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

i hear ya,still think it would be cool, but deep down it would never be accepted

8. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    i think if we ask 223 smitty he would have a preety inteligent answer on this subject.

9. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Dang, I got feelings you know. Wear them right here on my sholder. Makes me feel bad, when I thought I had gone a said something preety inteligent. :big_smile:

10. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I agree with Tony on trappers keeping under the radar. There is more trappers around then you might think, we just keep a low profile. I used to be the public relations officer for the Maryland Furtakers back when I lived up there and I can tell you from first hand experience that most of the public and a lot of fellow sportsman don't like trappers or understand the service we provide by thinning out the predaters that kill the game they hunt. We're the best tool the DNR can find for controlling the predater population. The general public and most sportsman don't understand the concept of the carrying compacity of a given area and that hunting and trapping is the only way to maintain a healthy population of animals. All land furbearers are predaters and almost all water furbears do damage of some sort. The public don't like trappers until they get over run with the very varmints they're trying to protect. Just post and someone of us will answer.

11. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    Sory Tony, I wil atempt to post and offical apoligy in Fur Fish and Game magizine, say wait a minute maybe they would know

12. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    God I love this place. There are so many people on here that love to play and joke. I know there are also some that don't, but you learn them fast and move on. I knew I would get a good one back out of you. Thanks for making my day.:big_smile:

13. mattoonboy4

mattoonboy4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    i agree with the fact that we stay under the radar but i would kind of like to hear some of the records of guys and gals of the BOC. also, i will be looking forward to seeing that apology in the next issue if FF&G, that was a pretty hurtful comment made...j/j.

14. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    Speaking of somethin' preety inteligent and Tony in the same sentence, just don't go together! :eek:oooh: I know, I know, you've got feelins!:roll_eyes: Well, I'm almost sorry!!:lol:

My biggest to date beaver was a 70 pound female! My wife snared a 63 pounder by the tail a couple years ago! That was her first beaver. I told her that she might want to consider making her loops a little smaller. When a 63 pound beaver walks through your snare and it catches him by the tail, this could be a problem with them little ole 50 pounders! Her reply, "I'm just after the biggun's!" Ain't nothin like a smarta$$ woman!!

As far as my biggest coon. I've caught one that dressed out 14 1/2 pounds. Ain't got a clue what the live weight would have been. I figure in the low 20s.
    I'd love to trap in an area where a thirty pound coon was a possible catch!

I did manage to catch Tony in one of my 220 bucket cubbies last year! I didn't get a weight on him. I figured somewhere around 250 pounds. I did practice catch and release on him though! :cool2:

15. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    A friend of mine killed a 27 lb coon whille hunting in Michigan a few years back and the largest beaver I've caught weighted 74 lbs caught in a 330 conibear coming out of a bank den under the ice in a small pond in a coal strip mine.

16. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    70 on bever
    27 on otter
    22 on coon about50 years ago ,frist one I ever caught.
    never weighed fox or coyotes,
    and right at 30 on a bobcat,29.5
    140 on a redhead, butI think she'll beat that, haven't weight her lately, I f she sees this post Ill probely be wearing the scales.
    Jim

17. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    i havent trapped anything though im going for muskrat and coon this year. and my brother after coyotes and fox

18. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    WHERES SMITTY!!!!!?!?!?!?!?! usually with trapping talk, smittys here! but w/e:cool2: ill steal the show! lol :lol:

19. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    He's getting ready for the state trappers convention, he'll be back on here from time to time.

20. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'm suprised KYTrapper hasn't posted....he took an 80 pound beaver & has a pic of it. I have read of beaver topping 100 pounds (though have never seen one. Have also read & seen pics of 65+ pound coyote (though can't know it's truth either)

lol.....ya think a trapper would tell a "fish story" :big_smile:

Smitty