Fur Prices

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by John(Bullhead)Hagen, Oct 16, 2007.

1. John(Bullhead)Hagen

John(Bullhead)Hagen New Member

State:
    ILLinois
    Anyone hear any prices on coon and rat this year.F.F.G.is usually a little high on there forcast.I sell to Asshelman who comes down once a week after Nov.11.Would like to see at least 15.00$ coon green skinned and 4.00$ rats,but what the heck i do it so i dont forget my roots.Been traping since i was 10 thru the great times and the times you know you are crasy just not commited. Teach a kid the right way and teach him the whole thing from just respecting nature to how to look at a pond or creek and read sign.For one day we will be to old and when they come over to tell us how they did it will be like we were there and fire up the body.

2. jstall

jstall New Member

State:
    Gary Texas
    Well John I do not think we will ever see 15.00 coon here in Texas again. I think R&P told me they were 1.50 last year. Cats came up some and Otter is were the money is. I would love to see the fur market jump up. I would really enjoy a full years trapping to show my grandson how to trap. The river close to me is full of otters but it is also full of beaver. I know I will kill a lot of beaver trapping for otter and I don't want to do that. Beaver did not bring anything here last year. I know where you are the fur is more valueable so I hope you have a good season.

3. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I heard coons should bring the same or a little higher than last year but rats will be lower. But only time will tell...

4. Barry Nelson

Barry Nelson New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I trapped thru the 80's when furs brought real money, $35-$45 coons, fox and "yote $50 plus .

For a while , till about "91" I was trapping beaver and making indian round wall hangings that brought about $50 a piece.

trap thieves, low fur prices , I just finally hung it up...glad to hear folks are still doing it tho...some of the best times in my life was spent runnin' a trap line.

lol...I tell ya, seems every day had an adventure to some degree.

I had an old bore coon that kept eluding me, 4 days in a row, sprung trap, bait gone. On the morning of day four , while puzzling this I noticed an unusual print in the trap bed. Got my face right down there and realized this little , clever @$$ was flippin the trap over, dug a little deeper bed, and set a 1 1/2 double coil upside down...Mr coon was pissed come daylight :big_smile:

Enjoy your lines this fall and I'd love to hear how it goes...I think ive still got a few pics from the old days, I see if I can find them and post.

Good luck

5. stinkbaitman

stinkbaitman New Member

State:
    south dakota
    coyote an fox and coon should be good yet around here but rats and mink are kinda in a slump right now.

6. yotepeeler

yotepeeler New Member

State:
    Illinois
    From what the furbuyer said at convention Beetle has it pegged . Coyote and fox are in the tank according to him no carcass yotes will be bought by him only green skinned and dried . This was Gronewald maybe spelt wrong LOL .

7. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    treat it like a hobby just like fishing is...and everything will be OK..:wink:

8. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

coons and cats will be the money makers.both are doing well sell early and often

9. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    i never really get much for coons down here, furs arent to good, but why in the world are fur prices so low? i mean seriosuly ive scene posts about old fur prices and why in the world have they dropped soooo much? its like theyre treating fur like it aint even real fur?

10. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    Its just supply and demand..the fur fashion is not what it used to be..people just dont buy their wives mink coats like they used to..women are afraid to wear their fur garments because of fear of attacks from anti fur people..peta and the such..just about all the fur now days is sold overseas. It will most likely come back in style in the future..just like bell bottoms, afros and polyester.. probably will also..

11. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

what part of the county you are in will decide alot on how much fur is worth.texas animals tend to be thin furred do to the climate

12. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    use to get 65 out of a no 1 red fox rats around 6-7 coon 25- 45 beaver 75 3 bucks for a skunki unskinned

13. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    :big_smile:Tegu lizard $10, 4 foot black caimans $50, anaconda snake $100, pampas fox $30, geofreys cat$60, ocelots $200, jaguars $1000.

14. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Holy Cow. I was mighty proud of the $50.00 jumbo coon I caught back then.
    Couldn't even imagine prices like those.

15. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    when i was about 12 i would get 3 bucks for a muskrat. this was northern utah, at logan and hyde park. then my scout leader set me up with a bunch of fly tiers that gave me 10 dollars for a rat. i was pulling pretty good money for a kid my age. everyone else was shoveling driveways for 5 bucks a pop, and i was truly having fun from it. when we moved to new mexico i got 30 bucks each for ringtail cats, frozen whole unskinned wrapped in newspaper in a trash sack. the taxidermist in aztec was getting 60-80 bucks for them after he finished them. i wish i knew of somewhere to do it now, all the fur in the tx panhandle is too thin to sell. i never really made much actually selling fur, just getting it for people who actually made way more on it than i did!

16. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Boy I remember days 85 cents for a rat, 5 bucks a coon, and dreaming of a buck an inch for mink, but when i got big mink and coon in late 60's or early 70's prices were so low, good thing I was just riding a bicycle. When I was traveling the world my brother took my traps and went trapping with friends, they left em out over winter, and i maybe got a dozen traps left out of about 5 doz that i had bought and had given to me. now one trap cost as much as a dozen used to, but it sure is fun,

17. John(Bullhead)Hagen

John(Bullhead)Hagen New Member

State:
    ILLinois
    :big_smile:As of last week Nov.17, 07 Central IL. Coon were anywhere from 8 to 12 dollars skinned.About 3 dollars less if not skinned.I averaged 10 dollars for the 40 i had some 12 some 8.Price seemed solid and i think if they had been dryed you may of averaged around 13 or so.Mine were green skinned as i can sell the meat to the people in Peoria for 7.00$ each and they want all i can get them.

18. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Where you selling them? In Foreston?

19. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania

from tree huggers like peta who try to keep the trade down because its "cruel", at least to them.

20. trapperray

trapperray New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Well I've sold 3 batchs of fur in the last 2 weeks. Coon have been decent, high's for me have been $24, lows a buck. Have held on to a $15 average, so I'm not going to complain. The rat market from what were seeing is low, fox have been running $17 to $20, not to prime yet. Won't get rich bye any means, but am having fun. Later Ray.:roll_eyes: