Fur Prices

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by backwoodsman68geric, Mar 27, 2009.

1. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    How'd everyone do on their price's this year? Here in illinois they were way down. I had surgery so I couldnt trap this year but "coached" the boys some. Nephew and godson sent a nice catch to one of the auctions in January. All the fur was put up but the price's were still dismal. These were the top price's they got, 42'coons top$12 low $3, 139 "rats top$2.80, low$1, 14mink top $11 low $6, 2 beaver brought $5 and $3,7 red fox top $17 low$8, 3 grey fox top$33,19 trapped and shot coyote only 7 sold top$4 low$1, 23possum top$3.25 low .50, only sent the better 'possum's local fur buyer gave the boys .25 ea for the others. Luckily they only caught a few skunks and I discouraged them from skinnin them,lol. Good thing they werent trappin for the money, but the high point was gas price's were down. I had most of the gear they needed so they ended up splitting about $900, not bad for the fun they had and the experience and exercise. They only trapped for a few weeks, few hours before and after school, weekends and Thanksgiving vacation.

2. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Prices didn't sound too far out of range from I have seen except you rats .. I saw some going around here at over $5.00 averaging tops around $4.35 .... Just wait until next year if you think this year was bad ... With NAFA having a clearance sell on all of the fur they are holding, that will kill most of the market next year if the economy doesn't pick up real fast. ... Garry-

3. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    After the sale I heard some 'rats from different areas were bringing more. Use to be the auction's were the way to go for top dollar, if a guy could wait for the money. Last few times we've sent ours off though didnt pan out like we would have liked. Next year will be interesting. I trapped thru the 90's and dealt with $1 coon etc but its kinda nice to make a little bit. Buddy of mine has a freezer full of coyote's, I told him he'd be money ahead to take the offers or tan and sell'em to crafters/buckskinners.

4. trollrap

trollrap New Member

State:
    northern illino
    back in the late 70's, in the chicago area, muskrats were $9, mink $15, racoon $20, Red fox $55. Me and my buddy made good bucks then. Runnin' the trapline before school, wow I miss those days. The money was just a bonus.