fur market about to crash

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by warcraft1975, Oct 12, 2008.

1. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

from what i am hearing all over the market is working on being dead.alot of fur buyers wont be buying this year. what have you guys heard in your area? southern fur will be hard to sell this year along with smalls and flats not really even sure about the good hides as of right now .if anyone has current up to date info please post it

2. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    the market has been terrible here in texas for a while. $3 has been a top price for a few years now on coons.. not worth skinning them for that.

3. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Tom ... I think you are right ... I have been talking to buyers and others that are in the know ... the case scenario I can get is to ... Sell Early and sell often .... If you can find a buyer.

4. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

yeah i have been reading this all over the net, lots of furbuyers will not have the money to buy fur because they cant ge tthe loans needed to do so.southern fur will have next to no value, and all flats and rubbed stuff will be very hard to sell from any location in the u.s. smalls are in there as well. the market will be allmost junk here soon. our only saveing grace will be the big auction houses and maybe even there wont be enough. i wish i knew more but the real test wont be untill the fisrt furs get sold then we can gauge it from there.

5. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

it would be a smart move to wait a month after season begins to see what kind prices are out there and then start traping the better furs for the best cash

6. Midwest Drifter

Midwest Drifter New Member

State:
    Kansas
    My brother just told me last week, that Russia Is backing off big time this year. Any word on that?

7. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Stan ....I have heard the same thing from several good sources .... Russia's stock market is doing worse than ours has been .... and they lost over 50 billion with companies pulling out after the deal with them invading Georgia. I have been around a long time and I have seen this happen several times ... you have one good year and everyone expects the next year to be even better .... don't seem to work out that way very often. Garry-

8. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

anyone on here have the early season and is all ready running traps? if so report back to us if you are selling in the country and what the buyers are offering

9. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Our season in Ohio doesn't open until November 10th ..... still a little over 3 weeks away ....... Garry-

10. jodster

jodster New Member

State:
    texas
    Dam, I thought it crashed many years ago!!! I was selling coon hides up to 35-45$ , Then the buyer I was dealing with went under and I sold like seven hides for 20$ and the guy was checking colors and blowing on them to check there prime!! What is the price on a coon hide no holes skinned and streched ??

11. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

i am surprised you ever got those prices for a southern coon. this year will be tough for southern stuff, i have no idea but it will be close to not even wasteing your time to try and put them on the market right now good furs from the north are haveing a tough time

12. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    this year prices are low and coons are suspected to peak in NOV?!?!? and the coons are looking at topping at 30-35$ thats half of peak last year in january. coyotes foxes mink and rat wont even be worth goin for with prices in the single digits but bobcats are again headed in the high market as of now are ranging from 85-200. well trapping season opens for me Nov 1st so ill be out shakin down the buyers again this year...

13. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Keep us posted on quality (prime/unprime) and the prices they are paying out there ... we don't open until Nov. 10th , here in Ohio .... Garry-

14. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

ther wont be any coon that high this year from anywhere unless you get into a top lot, coons from michgan are starting to sell and so far tops is 12 dollars from what i am reading elsewhere. there will be alot of 5-6 dollar coon untill later in the season for the north.bobcats are expected to be off as much as 30 percent from last year. coyotes are expected to really not sell lots still in storeage in the big house's and no one wants them. do not beleive what you have read in the mags, thats all old news and no longer correct

15. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    when i was a lil kid i was poor and cold and markj fought a bob cat bear handed and made me a coat out of him he is the best

16. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    You really need to find another fur buyer. I had several friends in Texas last year that averaged in the high teens for their coon. Danny Perry, a local buyer, was even giving 8 last year on coon in the round. A far cry from 3!

17. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

the market is going to be tough this year no doubt. northern fur will have a hard time i cant even imagine what the south fur will be doing.and i am kinda in the middle..lol cross fingers and hope for best

18. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    It would be good to hear from some of you early season state guys about what you are getting for your hides.
    thanks
    the best 2 ya
    just

19. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    i am hearing just the opposite . i am hearing fur prices are going to be stronger this year. last year i averaged 12.25 for coons,22.00 for grey fox and 9.00 for coyotes. i did skin a couple of very nice possums last year(big grey's) and i couyldn't get my buyer to give me a dollar for them. all the fur i sold last year was green. i would like to put it up and dry it but i just dont have the time to trap , run coonhounds, work a day job and do a bunch of fleshing.buy the way my buyer has enough cash i am pretty sure he doesen't need a loan to buy fur. conrad fur company in crane missouri is who i sell to.

20. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    havent heard around here. havent pelt hunted for 10 years. last time i trucked in a load of coons i got a $7.50 adveradge. wasnt worth the animals life for that. my grandpa got $50.00 for a sow when i was a kid. to many damb tree huggers today eating veggies and tofu.

hell ide eat the coon and toss the hide for $5.00. aint worth the gas for $5. but if and when i hear there around $10 or more for adveradge ill be back out. as far as the yotes. there so thick here if you dont find your deer soon after dark take a hack saw in the morning. thats all you need to saw the bare spine off for the rack. they ate 5 100+ lb deer last year by daybreak. guts and all. i dont waste much but its exterminating time here for them. they need thinned bad.