Fur Handling Supplies

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by sds888, Jun 12, 2006.

1. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Townville, South Carolina
    Where do yall get your Supplies? Also strechers do you buy them or make them. If you make them out of what? Thanks
    Stephen

2. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    easyest thing is get you, a fur fish and game mag . full of adds, for supplys . also contact and join your state trapping ass. They should be, eager to , help and might put you in touch with someone. that has traped a while also
    Trapperman.con and several trappers on here, will answer your questions.
    I dont use strechers I deep freez mine ,but some like finishing fur out.

3. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I sent you a link on your SC Association post. If you go to a trapping convention, you'll usually get some decent deals, plus save shipping. In the meantime, just do a browser search for "trapping supplies" & it'll give you plenty to look at.

Basswood is a common material for stretchers, but is uncommon around here. If you are any of the trapping sites, look for a guy that goes by "Hunkyboy", he makes & sells stretchers & fleshing boards. KYtrapper may be able to help as I don't visit t-man.

Smitty

4. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Townville, South Carolina
    Do you make your strechers or do you buy them if you buy them where do you buy them. If you make them how I have the deminsions. Thanks

5. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    I make my own stretchers. My dad has a first rate wood shop so I use his equipment:cool2: For everything else I love MInnesota trapline products. Tim is a first rate guy and thier service is the best Ive found, and Ive tried a lot:roll_eyes:

6. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    I'm gona 2nd Phillips post. Minnesota Trapline Products get all my business. Tim and Nancy Caven are two really great folks. They have great products, fair prices, and no one can compete with their customer service.

7. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I've done it both ways. I have a local trapping supply dealer an hour away (in Indianapolis), so it's cheaper to drive there once in awhile than to pay shipping costs.

It takes some specialized woodworking tools, as well as some experience to make them. If you have the dimensions, the width dimension is given at the point measured from the tip of the board, that's why stretcher dimensions have 2 dimensions....say 2" (wide) at 3" (down from the top)....then 3.5" (wide) at 5" (down from the top). I'm just pulling numbers out of my head, but you get the idea.

You'd probably be better off buying a few to get you started, then decide if you wanted to make them or not. PM Kytrapper....maybe you can get him to make you some cheap....... :big_smile:

MTP is one of the bigger & better known supply houses, as said...you can deal with them & not worry about service, though a few things you can find at alittle better price. Same as shopping anywhere, some items are cheaper, some aren't.

Smitty
    Smitty