Funny story

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by SSgt Fishslayer, Nov 13, 2007.

1. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Just thought of a story i would like to share with all of you. This happened to me while I was in Afghanistan. One day i was out in the tent working on replacing an engine in a tow-tractor and one of the Zero's (officers) walked through and asked if any of us ws from South Carolina, Tennessee, Maine, Michigan, and a few other staes. I said i was from South Carolina and he told me to get in my good cammies and be ready to leave in 45 minutes. I got all cleaned up, got on my good cammies (the ones with the least amount of stains and holes) and was standing outside with about 5 other Marines wondering what was going on. We were loaded into a Hummer and went down the road about 10 minutes. we could smell bar-b-que going and heard music in the backgroud. we were then briefed that we would be eating lunch with our respective congressmen and to be on our best behavior. Well i was the only Marine there from SC, there were about 10 Army guys from my home state so we got to go and talk with the congressman before we were served lunch. You should have seen the spread they had for us. Ribs, steaks, chicken breasts, potato salad, cole slaw, 5 diffrent kinds of pie, cake, the whole nine yards. i was in heaven. we had been eating MRE's for about 6 months now, so this was a god-send. everyone was listeneing to the congressman talk, hanging on his every word, but i was to busy enjoying this lovely meal i was just served. well he went around the table and asked each of us what we would like for him to do for us, or if there was anything he could change for us. Well there were 3 Army Majors, 2 Captains, a Master Sgt, and a bunch of Staff NCO's and they all asked the usual questions, like mail issues or how long they were going to be extended for, the usual moaning and complaing things. well the congressman asked me if there were anything he could do for me, and the conversation went something like this
    Congressman:"so there Cpl Walsh, is there anything I can do to make your life any easier here"
    Me:"No, Sir, things out here are pretty good. We dont really need for much." Congressman:"so you are saying that of all of these things that all of these other gentleman (Army) arent really a problem for you"
    Me:"No sir, cant really complain. Marines are used to fighting in places like this. we are just happy we have electricity and water."
    Congressman: "well if there were anything i can do for you just let me know"
    Me: "Ok Sir................Actually there is one thing you can do."
    Congressman:"Well what is it Marine"
    Me: "Is there any way you can get us some of this chow more often. and If not, can you send the leftovers down to my compound so that the rest of the Marines can have some?"
    Congressman: "What do you mean? Is this kind of food unusual?"
    Me:"No disrespect sir, but hell yes this is unusual. We have been living on MRE's for the past 6 months."
    Congressman:" i was under the impression that this kind of stuff was common place out here."
    Me:"Maybe for the Army and Air Force, but not for us, we are usually to busy working to take a chow break."
    Well all of those Army higher ups looked like they were going to blow a gasket. I think i embarassed them. It didnt matter, because all of the left overs were brought to the Marine compund and all of the 200 Marines there got thier fill. Dont know what made me think of that. I guess it was all of the Veterans day stuff . Just thought i would share that with you guys. One of the funnier moments of my times in a combat zone.

2. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Glad you're on our side Sgt. That ain't just a story, that is a good story. I bet I don't even have to go to Snopes.com to check that one out. When your cycle comes back around I'll load your magazine for ya. They sure are stingy around here those Twinkie points. Thanks Sgt. John.

3. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i know it sounds carzy John, but i am trying to get back out there. Am trying to get back in country(Iraq) middle of next year. Dont think i will get back to Afgahnistan. The Air Force took it over and they would rather put the Harriers in Iraq anyway. Dont know how well it will work though. And you can load my mags anytime. dont usually trust too many people to do that, mainly because if it jams, then that is my rear end. could mean the diffrence between me or the other guy coming out on top.

4. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I gotta agree with John. That's a great story. Thanks for sharing. Looks like the butter train just came back in for me, so I'll get ya before I catch up with the others I owe.

5. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Good story SGT. One of my brothers was in the marines and thats one thing that sets them apart, they think of the group as a whole and not individual problems. Thanks for your service to this great country. And as Postmortem said i'm glad your on our side.