Funny stories/best memories of fishing

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by loki1982, Jul 16, 2006.

1. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I just thought it might be interesting to talk about funny things that have happened while fishing, or your best memories. Here are a few from my files.

About 8 years ago in a small lake called black creek lake in Texas my dad and I were catfishing. I had made some cheesey doughbait that wasnt stable enough to stay on the hook. I started pulling pieces off and throwing them into the water and watching perch eat it. After awhile I had thrown more in than the baitfish to eat and some large carp 10-20# came up and started sucking the stuff down. I grabbed my sandwhich ripped off a corner fo the bread put it on a treble hook with no weight and held it on the surface. A few seconds later one of the carp surfaced and sucked my bait down. I hooked the thing and it started taking out line. After a few minutes of fighting, we realized that the bank was a good 6 foot drop and no way we could lift this carp. I walked it down the bank to a smaller cliff. The carp did another run and wrapped a log about 5 foot from the bank. I took my shoes off wadded out to the log and just as hook came out I had grabbed the fish. I had him a classic bear hug. I get to the bank which is not sloped but almost a straight drop, and the ledge is about 3 foot. I jump and when I do I land laying down, and squeezed the fish on impact. Eggs, thousands of them squirted into the air. My shirt was covered. My dad was on the bank facing my direction at the time. He picked up the fish and turned around and somehow eggs were on his back.

At the same lake one year we were fishing. We heard a rustling noise that sounded like wind. We looked behind us, coming through the forest was the largest dirt devil/dust devil ever. It went through our camp picked up a coleman gas grill we had brought to cook with. We looked into the sky and peoples, paper towel rolls were soaring about 1 mile high, along with newpaper. My dad and I immediate hit the ground and lied down on our gear. The devil went across the cove we were at, and turned into a water spout. Once on the other side it found a spot were about 30 tents from a boyscout group were located. It proceeded to throw about 1/3 of them into the lake, damaged a few others, and pretty much uprooted the rest. For hours trash was raining down. The grill we had, missed landing on our truck by a few foot. It appeared to have been thrown several feet in the air, and this is a decent sized grill, Id guess 20#.

Some of my best memories are:

Fishing in my grandpa tank. We would leave a cane pole baited, come out the next morning and find it floating being drug around by a small cat.

At the same house, the turkey's would come near the house each morning. My brother and I came up with the idea that if you shot a turkey in the head with a bb gun you could knock it out/kill it. One night we cocked our bb gun and set out on the back porch. We turned a poker table over sideway as a barrier. The next morning a few minutes before the turkeys normally showed up I krept out and waited behind the table. When they came up I chose the biggest gobbler I could find. I sighted his head in and hit him perfectly. As all the other turkeys flew this gobbler danced around dazed. I thought for sure he was gonna fall, or die so I jumped up and charged him. Apparently it had only winded him and he flew off before I got to him.

2. live22skate

live22skate New Member

State:
    Arizona
    nice post, those are some great stories!

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Mellon needs to chime in on this, he is better at story telling than I am..We have had a bunch of funny things happen to us..One was when ole Mellon caught his first snapper, and tried to weigh it, as he was getting close to put the hook of the scale in, he found out why they call them snappers.

4. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I was once bit by a turtle. It wasnt a snapper, I think it was a red-eared slider. It was full grown probably weighted about 3#s with a 10 inch shell. I wasnt paying attention when the thing reached out and grabbed my finger. I actually shook my hand enough that it let go. A few days later I went to the hospital for unrelated problems and just mentioned the turtle bite to the doctor. Years later when I went in for somthing the doctor actually asked me whats this "Turtle bite" in my record was all about.

Also last year my uncle and I found a branch along the river that had a wasp nest on it. We tied a drop line from the end of the branch. The next morning a cat was on and was tuggin pretty hard. Really pissed those wasp off.

5. okiecop

okiecop New Member

State:
    Grove, OK
    Back several years ago me, my best friend keith and a buddy of ours Tim went out catfishing in Keith's boat. A nice little aluminum 14 footer with a 9HP motor. Well we got back in this cove and were fishing just up under some trees on the edge of a mud flat. we were doing alright as the fishing goes. That is until about a 4 foot long black snake dropped out of the tree and into the boat. Now Tim being the good ole' boy that he is. Not to mention all of our fears of snakes. Not one od us wanted be be in the boat at that time. Ole Tim pulls out his trusty .357 magnum. And yep you guessed emptied the the gun at the snake. Now Tim didn't hit the snake he just scared the crap out of it not to mention me and keith. Now as one can imagine a small boat like that with 3 guys and gear and 6 fresh holes in the bottom it tends to start filling up with water in a hurry. Keith fires up that motor and gives it every thing it has. once we were safely out of snake central as we all thought we were in there is still a bit too much weight in the front of the boat. so we all move to the back. this still isn't slowing the inflow of water into the boat. I jump into the water and try to adjust the trim on the motor w/o much luck. so i climb back into the boat. keith fires it back up and by the skin of our teeth we make it back to the boat launch. Now this little boat is only about half full of water at this point so we ain't going to drown. so we haul the boat onto the trailer and take it to keiths house. Now our little trip is confined to the the bank for the rest of the night. We did fine as far as the fishing goes. And We all managed to Help fix the holes in keith's boat. But the first rule we now have is you guessed it. No Guns Allowed on the boat.

So the moral of the story is this. Never let a redneck that is scared of snakes on your boat with a loaded gun.

6. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    Thanks brother for the great stories.

:cat:

7. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I grew up catching reptiles, and keeping many different species as pets. Snakes dont bother me at all, and I have no problem identifing any species. One day I was fishing and a diamond back water snake came up near this dock. The owner of the dock ran to get a bat to kill the snake. I couldnt let the thing die So I took off my shoes waded out and caught the sanke. He came back out of the dock yelling "Thats a water macason, put it down" I put the snake in my bait bucket and later that night went down a few hundred yards and released it. I cant tell you the amount of brown water snakes and diamond back water snakes that I have caught only to be told its a water macason.

Another story was the exact opposite. This young boy and I had got in a conversation about snakes and he mentioned to me that he found a nest of bullsnakes in a tree trunk. I asked him to show me, and it ended up it was 3 copperheads. They were hiding in the roots of a tree where water had washed the dirt away. Luckly he hadnt tried to mess with them.