Funny Looking blue..

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by BKS72, Jun 8, 2008.

1. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Caught this guy the other night. Don't know if he was born like this or had some kind of weird accident, but there was a big notch in his bottom jaw. You can see from the pix that his bottom jaw bone is actually in 2 pieces. He seemed to have no problem swallowing an 8" shad, so I don't guess it affects his eating much. That's one that I'll recognize if I catch again:smile2:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    That is the spitting image of Channel we caught a couple weeks ago!

This one had a hook and line down his throat, so we figured maybe an escapee from a limb line, or a snag up?
    It was a bit small to be pulling off a stringer so maybe the line cut though it's jaw?

I have no clue, but it looked to be healthy otherwise so it had been eating, and hit like he meant it.

CPRed him and sent him back.

3. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    This guy actually got hooked fairly far back in the throat so I left the hook in him rather than tear him up getting it out. It wasn't down to his gut so I'm sure he'll be fine. Same here, took a couple of pix and turned him loose.

4. CATFISHERMAN001

CATFISHERMAN001 New Member

State:
    ALABAMA
    It looks like where it may have been caught when it was younger and someone broke its' jaw by holding it with pliers and released it. I have seen the jaw get broken by holding the fish with pliers and fish roll while being held and break the lower jaw bone. I don't if this is what actually happened but that is what looks like to me.

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Looks like some type of previous injury. Congrats on a good fish and thanks for sharing.

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Thats weird! Never seen one like that before. Thanks for sharing the pics!:big_smile:

7. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I think the fish dipped copenhagen too long and developed some sort of lip cancer:smile2: Folks say it will happen to me if i don't quit.:angry:

8. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    probably a fishing injury that is healing. I have a big bluegill in my pond that has a notch like that in his back. i believe it was used as bait when small and survived. i have caught it 3 times and it gets bigger each time. it weighs a tad over a pound now...

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    That Blue needs to see the Doctor. :smile2:

10. BIGcatjakeJR

BIGcatjakeJR New Member

State:
    ohio
    It may have been stringered up on a rope style stringer. If that fish accompanied other cats on the stringer, they roll alot when on stringer it may have cinched tightly eventually cutting thru. It has been reported that holding a large fish by the jaw possibly damages muscle and cartilage. The weight of the fish needs support by placing a hand midway under body and hold on a horizontal position. Use circle hooks they are less likely to hook deep in the gills or stomach.

11. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    It does look like maybe where a pair of pliers were used to hold it. Don't look like he let it get the best of him though. Pretty healthy cat.

12. CatfishRookie1

CatfishRookie1 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Te
    Looks to me like he may have been hooked before in the Lip and some how fought out of it sacrificing a portion of his lip.

13. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Thanks for the pic very interesting.

14. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    My vote goes to a stringer, they use pretty thick rope stringers around here. My guess is that the cat rolled until he sacrificed his lip... happens all the time...

interesting catch though, thanks for sharing!

15. MSgtCatfish

MSgtCatfish New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Looks like something Geo made when Chevrolet wasn't looking!!!

16. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    A few years back I caught a channel kinda like that, except his top lip was torn up. I always figured that maybe someone wasn't careful when removing a hook from him.