Funny how things work out...

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by jlingle, Dec 2, 2006.

1. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    I've had a miserible deer season, no kidding. I lost my 2 best hunting spots to guys who could afford to pay more than I'd ever dream on a hunting place. I thought I'd lucked into a great place in a different county, only to find out that the guys that we were supposed to be hunting with had pulled a fast one on us & gained exclusive rights to the place (it was free anyway.) So I ended up having really only 2 very small pieces of land to hunt on, and my favorite hunting partner was out of state for most of the season. It was just weird. I learned much more about people than I wanted to know this deer season. For the life of me, I can't understand why people will behave completely out-of-character and have tantrums over a deer. Really, it's just a stupid deer and I don't care how big the buck is, he's not worth losing friendships or your reputation over. But this year I have had several people that I had previously called friends lie to me and go behind my back and cut me out of hunting land, just to hunt a big deer that they'd seen. Sad sad sad. So I let them hunt the places by theirselves and I let some other guys think that they'd really put one over on me. I don't mind. I'm not gonna have a fit over a deer. I just want to spend time in the woods and have a chance at a decent deer, that's all I ask. Deer hunting is one of my "getaways" in order to unwind.

Anyway, I hunted my fanny off this year. I took the first week of rifle season off work and hunted morning and evening everyday for 9 days, without ever getting a good shot on a buck. I did shoot at one buck, but brush was in the way and my shot was deflected. I missed the deer clean but blew the crap out of a tree branch. That was really my only chance at a good deer, until today.

Anyway, to make a long story even longer, me and my buddy decided to take our 5 year old boys out hunting this evening to his family's lease in Eldorado. My son wasn't dressed as warmly as I'd hoped so I put him in a stand with me. After opening the windows, the darn wind was blowing so hard through the blind, that we decided to get down and find us a spot out of the wind to sit. We walked over to a wheatfield and I immediately spotted a doe. I wanted my son to get into position to be able to watch the deer, so as I was maneuvering him into a better place...... the doe looks back to the edge of the mesquites. There he was. I couldn't tell how many points he had, but I knew he was at least a 10 & had long main beams. He never would look our direction, so I couldn't tell how wide he was either, but my son was wound up and I wasn't about to let this buck walk. The situation was too perfect, with my boy Jaden there to see it all unfold. He was REALLY excited. I bellycrawled out to a little hump in the field so I could shoot from my stomach with my bipod. I had no idea how far the shot was, but I was guessing it was in the 300 yd. range. I held just under his back and squeezed the trigger, and the "whump" of the impact gave it all away. I turned and told Jaden "I think I just nailed him, buddy." He was all smiles. We had to walk all the way back around a very thick stand of mesquites and china berry trees to where the buck was standing when I shot. I really thought that he would've ran into the mesquites after I shot him, so that was the direction that I was looking for blood. I heard Jaden say "well there he is, dad." & I turned to see him laying on his belly right where I'd shot him. I had hit him perfectly, low & tight behind the shoulder and he'd dropped in his tracks.

The buck is a mainframe 12 pointer, with only marginal tine length and rather narrow at only about 14 inches, but he sure is pretty and my son is extremely proud of him. I'm just truly happy that my deer season turned out this way, with me being able to harvest a nice buck while hunting with my son. I couldn't be happier. I'm going to skull mount him and hang him in Jaden's room for him to show off. He's just thrilled that he was able to find the deer and make the recovery for me. I'm glad that he had a part in it as well. He's been telling me all night long "I'm good at deer hunting, ain't I Daddy?"

I want to get some pictures tomorrow in the daylight of Jaden and his deer. When I do, I'll post some pics.

Jerrod

2. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Congratulations! Sounds like a memory that will last a lifetime. I hope those other guys get skunked.

3. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Great story,great trophy,great time with your son.What more could you ask for?Congrats

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

That was a great story of you and your son sharing a day together. I could almost smell the dew covered grass while reading it. Congrats

5. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I know how you feel buddy! On opening day I had some prick from out of town drive right infront of me in my stand... less than 15 yards and he drove down to a thicket where I knew a monster was bedding down, at least a 12 pointer I think that it was the grandson of the buck that I got 10 years ago. Anyhow after that the deer were spooked from the area, so I had to relocate. I talked with a guy that I help around his farm and he gave me permission to hunt on some timber that he has 35-40 acres I'm guessing. So I show up and in less than 10 minutes I spook up two bucks an 8 point and a 10, later I walked within 75 yards of a 6 and an 8 but I was using a shotgun and didn't feel comfortable with the shot. About an hour later I went to the spot where I saw the bucks and spooked a doe, but she couldn't scent me and tried to scare me off, after about 5 minutes I took one step and a massive 8 pointer jumped up and didn't give a good shot. I then decided to "walk & stalk" and after about 45 minutes a buck winded my scent wick and couldn't figure out what I was and then I got a good shot ( after the first two went high!) and got myself a decent 9 point, scrawny rack but I filled my tag on the last day that I could shoot. I can't wait to take my boys out with me into the field!!!

Aaron

TA2D

6. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Jerrod. You are a good writer. Congratulations one the deer and as it seems you are more happy about sharing this with your son you are to be commended for this more important aspect of the hunt. Good for you.

7. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Great story Jerrod.Glad you and your son experienced it together.Congrats on the buck.

8. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Jerrod! What a wonderful story of a guy sharing his deer hunting skills with his precious son! I am very proud of you to do what you did.And how facinating it must have been for your son to find the deer for you.I just imagine bein a parent myself how his little eyes must have lit up! Such a sweet heart warming story.Thank you for posting and sharing.Reps to ya man!----------Pat:big_smile: :big_smile:

9. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    How about some pictures? Now tell me this isn't a proud little 5 year old boy!!!

Attached Files:

10. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    Congrats on the deer and for takeing you son i plan on taking my oldest girl next year hunting she will be 7.

11. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Congrats on that buck and -taking your son hunting with you ,my son is 21 now and my daughter will be 10 on Dec19 so shes excited about going with me next year but im taking her rabbit and quail hunting this year

12. tkyhnt

tkyhnt New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I can relate to how you felt, My 5 year old daughter spent a spring morning with me a couple years back, She still talks about the turkeys flying down into the field we were set up in. You can bet that your son will not forget the time he spent with dad in the woods for a Long Long time.

By the way Congrats on a nice buck as well, you sure deserved that one.

13. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Thanks for sharing Jerrod, congrats on your son....and on the deer too.

14. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    That's what it's all about, congrats.

15. Fishnhuntforever

Fishnhuntforever New Member

State:
    Northern California
    Congratulations on the deer and thanks for passing on the hunting heritage!

16. cattinfever999

cattinfever999 New Member

State:
    KY
    Jerrod, I usually don't read alot of stories that are very long, but you really hooked me in. You're a really good writer. I enjoyed your story.

Congrats on the deer and thanks for being a great dad.

17. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I've taken my boys a time or 2, but haven't killed anything when they were with me. I can't wait 'till that happens! Congrats!

18. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Thanks to everyone for the replies. Believer, you're absolutely correct... killing anything when you have kids with you is a real feat. It's hard to keep the kids in line, keep 'em quiet, and pay enough attention to what's goin on to spot some game. Last night I had my boy Jaden and my daughter Braelyn with me when I was trying to get a doe. Tough deal.