Funny Conversation--I am going to Ukraine!!

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by alpal16, Feb 21, 2009.

1. alpal16

alpal16 New Member

State:
    Philly, PA
    So, there were a bunch of guys working on this house next door to me the other day---and I knew that some of them were from Eastern European decent, but I wasn't sure where. Anyway, I was headed out with my gear to fool around a bit in this local canal and they saw my rods and we instantly started talking about fishing---baits, spots, species, ect. This one guy fishes alot and I told him I like to fish for catfish. He says to me "Over here, catfish are small"

I think, wait a minute, I say "Well some people I know have caught fish in the 40 pound range in the local river"

He says, "That is small. In Ukraine, 160 pound catfish I caught"

I said "Man, I would crap my pants if I caught one that big"

Apparently they use some type of stick that makes a noise to attract them and bait up a big hook with worms and anything else they can find.

Anyway, all I know is that I am going to the Ukraine someday :wink::cool2:

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    My gosh, Alex. You know what they say about ALL fishermen. You sure you want to go to that expense on a fisherman's tale. Why not just run down to Texhoma and fish for the 120 pound range cats. LOL

3. alpal16

alpal16 New Member

State:
    Philly, PA
    Hey Lawrence---you show me where they are at down your way and I will be there!! (I would love to see that part of the country :cool2:) :wink:

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Darn Alex. I doubt I could show you exactly where they are any more than the guy from Ukraine could. I probably could show you the north shore where a guy from Oklahoma caught a 120 pounder, and a few weeks later a Texan fishing the south shore caught a 122 pounder. If it hadn't of been a world record for a day or two, I'd probably say it also was a fish story, knowing Texans. So, we know they are in there, just where is the question. LOL

5. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
  6. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    alpal16,
    The guy was not Pulling your LEG! They are very correct with the info and the Fish are BIG! Currently, the record for rod & reel caught Wels is around 230lb. and it was caught in Spain where Nick Bussie and his father provide a guide service. He was on the forum a while back, but now seems to have more improtant things to do. It is not necessary to travel to Eastern Europe to catch one of these. France, Italy, Spain, Germany, Poland and etc. have these in there rivers and some lakes. I have taken them in France and Italy and HOPE to someday go back for a trip to Spain. If you do go, try to arrange a trip with a GUIDE as this will increase your probability. JMHO!!!!!!!!!!!

HOPPY4

7. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    al pal closer go to the james river in virginia or ohio river as well both have 100 and over blues in them for the fight rick

8. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Tell him you can't catch 300lb tunas in the Ukraine!

European catfish can get over 600lbs and 10 feet long.