Funniest fishing moments...

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by e'villeman, Nov 28, 2007.

1. e'villeman

e'villeman New Member

State:
    Evansville, Indiana
    Whats your funniest story about a catch? I remember one time me and my wife was back fishing and fell asleep ~ it rained prety good that night and in the morning i found her pole laying on the ground with a catfish on it in a mud puddle 3ft. from the lake. Whats your funniest moments in fishing??

2. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i told this one before i think but i will tell it again since its been a while. i grew bass fishing and got into catfishing by accident i think. took a trip to santee and long story short ..met a guy on the bank that had done good so i followed suit. later took a trip down to santee with my dad who was going bass fishing but i was set to catfish right beside of him bass fishing. well we started drifting the lower lake and he wanted one of my four cat rods, so i gave him two but we didnt have no rod holders except two feet each....lol. well i get a bite on mine and set the hook and heard dad go in the water at the same time. i just thought "dang dads got a big one....lol" well i look and see hes going after my cat rod he was using. mind you we was in the middle of the lower lakes(9 miles across it but shallow). well i get my rod in and his is tangled in mine but i have a 3lb blue on mine....lol. those two rods was tangled together and was bout to get hung on a stump is all i can figure and i set the hook an jerked his in. he dropped his bass rod and jumped in to retrieve my cat rod(smart man) well he gets back in the boat with stuff floating all in the lake from his pockets and we laughing so hard i was crying. i told him there was no way in haydees i was jumping in that water for one of his rods. he looked up and said well nows a fine time to tell me that. hes soaking wet. well he gets to looking for his bass rod an its gone. to this day we dont know what happened to his rod. either he jumped in with it off instinct or dropped it and it fell in on its own but the good news is he didnt loose my catfishing rod. he no longer wears them air jordan flip flops fishing anymore.:smile2:

3. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    my friend and his dad fish colorado rive. dave got got sleepy that night and fell asleep on the bank. (they were fishing for carp) he looped line around his big toe thinking the bite would pull off and he'd feel. well, loop locked on his toe, and he was being dragged into river. (he weighed maybe 80 lb with sopping wet sweat suit on.) his dad grabbed him and managed to get line free.. by scales back in 60's, that carp was over 35lbs... i saw his poor toe. laughed my butt off too.
    gary

4. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Middle of summer-nasty hot-no breeze-worked hard all day for 1 nice crappie. Every boat I talked to had the same luck. Got back to the ramp, and there was this "hippie type", throwing a 1/4 oz. jig from the dock, and he had a big stringer of fish. Besides over a dozen nice crappie, he had a couple of eater cats and barely legal walleye. Being in no mood to clean just one fish, I gave mine to him. While I was tying the boat down, I saw another boat pull in and do the same thing. HAD to laugh--He sure had the hot bite figured out.

5. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    yeah you never know about those "hippy types" lol

fell asleep in the boat one night and my foot kicked off the live well intake hose. got a bite and when i took my feet off the side i hear splash! another couple of mins. and i would have been in trouble.

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Had to have been when I had a Rapala with a 14" bass hanging off my nose...2 of the 3 hooks on the back end of it were firmly embedded in my nose:crazy::eek:oooh: with the bass on the other end flopping around! Wasn't funny at the time. Really embarrasing at the ER where they had to remove the lure!:big_smile:
    True story! Wish I had pics of it...Not really!:tounge_out::smile2:

7. e'villeman

e'villeman New Member

State:
    Evansville, Indiana
    lol those are some great stories guys!! Keep them coming!!

8. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Last May my cohort and fishing partner and I had put the boat in at the dam at Chetopa, Kansas...and were anchored above a large riffle.

We had been drifting our baitrs downstream with the current, and kept getting snagged up on the big balls of heavy monofilament leftover from the spoonbill snagging season.

Well my buddy managed to pull in part of one of them with his rod...and proceeded to wrap the line around his hand as he retrieved it from the water...in the hopes he wouldn't get hung up on it anymore.

After he did this for about a minute or so...he looked down into the river with his...and RIGHT beside the boat was an estimated 80-90 lb spoonbill!!

It took a couple of seconds for it to sink in before we realized that the fish was attached to the line he had wrapped around his hand.

I yelled DROP IT!!!

He tried...but it was wound too tightly...and he didn't get all the way out.

As soon as we looked at the huge spoonbill...and it looked back at us with a sneer...and gleam in its eye it took off like a nuclear submarine.

The line cinched down on his pinky finger...and cut it to the bone.

I tried to talk him into going to the hospital...but he refused...and after all...it was his boat...and the blue cats were biting really good. So...who am I to tell the guy what to do...Lol. :wink:

Instead...he superglued it together...and we fished for 5 more hours.

The next day...he went to the emergency room because his dumb a$$ let it get infected.

They cut it open...and scraped it out with a little wire brush....doused it with an anitbiotic...and then glued it back together. That finger gave him trouble all summer long.

The fish were biting really good...and I ended up catching more than he did (Its a friendly competition between him and I)...but I don't think I'd have waited to go to the ER had it been me.

No tellin what you could get from that nasty river water...he's lucky he didn't get E-Coli.

9. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Ok...I got another one. It's about the same knucklehead that I fish with.

He has a serious medical condition...and as a result he's prescribed pain meds.

We were fishing one night...his knees were bothering him...so he took another pill.

The fish weren't biting at all...for four hours we sat anchored in the boat on a full moon nite on an Se Kansas strip pit way out in the boonies. And not a bite...Nada!

He actually had fallen asleep...so I was watching my 2 poles...when I got a bite. Just a little tap.

I stood up and picked up my rod...and reeled in the slack.

When I did this...my buddy woke up.

No sooner had I stood up...when his BRAND NEW Ambassadeur Record casting reel...mounted on a St. Croix Classic Cat rod... (A VERY nice and VERY expensive combo)...Just suddenly flew straight up in the air...and said..."Kerplunk!"

He stood straight up...and I...without even thinking...thrust my heavy duty E-Glass rod into the water up to the reel...and pulled up.

And there his $300 plus combo sat...balanced on my rod...right in front of my buddy.

He was stunned...standing there half awake...the other half baked...like he didn't know what to do.

I looked at him and said..."Well...Pick It Up!! It probably still has the fish on it"..along with a not so nice expletive.

He reached down...picked up the rod...and reeled in a 13 lb channel cat.

Had I never gotten that little tap on my line and stood up...that reel would have been in 30' of water.

That could NEVER be done again even if you tried...Lol.

10. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Last April I took my neighbor fishing on our deck boat. This was, I believe, the first time he had been fishing on a boat. He is a good bit younger than myself at only 20 years old. The crappie were tearing it up and I knew he would enjoy that. I am always willing to take people fishing and introduce them to the sport. You never know you may gain a new fishing buddy.:big_smile:

We arrived at the ramp and I told him I would back the boat down to the water. The water level was low and we had to get on and off the boat on the beach or ramp since the pier was six ft above the water level. I asked him if he could back the boat in the last couple of feet and them park my truck in the parking lot. He replied no problem. I backed down the ramp and got onto the boat. He got out of the truck and came around to the drivers side. I though to get into the truck. I went to the back to prepare to back the boat off the trailer. On my way to the back I hear "WOE, WOE, WOE, SPLASH". I run to the front to see what had happened. He was not at the front of the boat. I here water splashing and look about ten foot down the ramp and he is trying to get out of the water and is neck deep. :crazy: :0a20: He had walked down the ramp to watch what I was doing and slipped and fell in. After I helped him out of the water and made sure he was not hurt. I asked him if he had brought the "just in case" change of cloths I had told him to bring. His reply was no. I told him we needed to load back up and head home that he would freeze if we tried to fish and him wet. He insisted he would be fine and that he wanted to go catch some fish. So I let him talk me into going fishing. :eek:oooh: He made it pretty good as long as the fish were biting. We fished till about 4 am and decided to go in. The kid had toughed it out all night in those wet cloths and was close to being dry by the time we got back to the ramp. We get back to the ramp and I asked him to go get the truck, I would beach and let him off. I get about five feet from the beach and he decided to jump.. SPLASH, again.:smile2: This guy not only fell in the lake once but he decided to do it again.:smile2: Twice in one night.

He is a very good friend of mine and my kids love him and his wife. They are almost like two adopted kids to me and my wife. Although he has not been back fishing with me since.:smile2::smile2: He keeps saying he wants to go but I think he is wanting to make sure it is in the summer and the water/weather is warmer.

The good news from the night is we caught over 100 crappie and he caught a flat that would go close to 15 pounds (using a live shad he had caught on a crappie minnow). That was by far his best all time fish and I am sure a memory that will last both of us a lifetime.

11. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Somewhere, someone has a picture of me with my trousers down holding a catfish. Now, let me explain before you all think I've gone all Brokeback Mountain.
    Brent (Rodpod), Vic (Dreamcatcher) and I were fishing across from Evansville when one of my rods got a hit. As I got up I felt something not right with my trousers but fish take priority. By the time I had got that fish to the boat they were round my ankles and pictures were being taken.
    I guess no one will really care unless I run for president then the pictures will surface...W

12. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    This is from a long time ago, where I grew up we had a pond behind our house that had alot of cats in it. Being bored and a hot summer day, I remember my buddy bringing over this little yellow raft, and wanted to take it out in the middle. I really didnt feel like it, so I kept fishing and watched him. As I pulled in my line to re-bait, I must have put it seemed like a half a pound of chicken liver on the hook, on a little bitty bass pole. Being 12 years old and 90 lbs soaking wet, it took everything i could to cast this huge glob of bait. I rare back and give it a cast, as I watch the trajectory, I can't help but notice that this huge bloody mass of liver is heading directly towards the unsuspecting idiot paddling around on a yellow raft in the middle of the pond. I couldn't get the words out in time, but as soon as I managed to say HEY!, he looked up at me and took this disgusting glob of liver right in the forehead, which in turn knocked him off the raft and into the pond....It took me a good 20 minutes to recover, but he turned out to be ok...I will never forget that.:smile2:

13. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    this story involves unspeakable and unethicle behavior! we were kids and therfore stupid and imature. i have a much greater respect for things now! so keep your complaints to yourself!!!!!

i was at one of my bank spots with a buddy catching a few bullheads. well my buddy thought it would be funny to toss one up on the road and listen to the cars run over him. time goes by still catching and releaseing most. the idiot gets a bright idea to kick one up over the bridge this time. well,as you all know, those fish have spines! lol you guessed it he tossed it up made a good connection and then preceeded to drop and roll around on the ground. one of the spines went into his foot and pinned his shoe onto his foot.lol (got what he diserved, rite). he had to unlace the shoe so we could get the cutters in and snip the spine off, and yank the rest out. he never kicked a fish again as far as i know.

like i said at the beginng, "this story involves unspeakable and unethicle behavior" parties know better now, so keep negative coments to yourself!!!

please: tim

14. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    when i was a boy, went crappie fishing with a buddy of mine and his dad. we set up not far from the ramp and were in a little cove about 15 yds from shore. the parking lot was right behind us. we were catching them and my buddies dad kept getting a hit and he would set the hook and miss them. this happened for about 20 minutes and he got kind of upset. he got a good hit and he swung that rod like he were babe ruth in the bottom of the 9th with 3 on and 2 outs. well low and behold this little old crappie came flying out of the water, went sailing right over our heads and wound up landing right in the middle of the parking lot. i couldnt believe it. after that he settled down and didnt set the hook so hard after that.

15. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    According to my wife I could fil up several pages. But most recently they were having a BASS tourny at a local lake. A few days before while the lake was packed with bass fisherman practicing, I had an hour or so between appt. at work so I was going to catch some gills for catfishing that night. First cast I caught one and went to put water in my bait bucket. At that moment I realized my dress shoes for work have no traction on wet rocks as i fell 5 feet off the rocks bounced off anther rock and landed in 6 feet of water. I caccelled my last appt. and went home wet and bloody, and still have problems with my shoulder 6 months later. I also have fallen in several times either throwing a cast net or looking in the water for shad instead of were I'm stepping.:crazy:
    Chip