Fun with Spring Channel Catfish

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by vlparrish, Apr 18, 2006.

1. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    I have been having a blast with the spring channel bite. Saturday the river started rising due to heavy rains up river. I was fishing a tourney on the Ohio River. It was late before my partner and I found the fish, but when we did the bite was fast and furious. Monday evening I went out again, Same bait same technique. I caught a dozen channels in a couple of hours. Tuesday I went out again using the same methods and landed thirteen channels and a 15 lb flathead for a bonus. I have been fishing mud banks with cut shad. I use a three way rig with a five ounce bank sinker and a 5/0 J-hook. Find a mud bank with some brush or grass under water and throw right at the edge of the brush. It shouldn't take long before a rod bends over. good luck. Vern

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i have been doing good near mud banks as well, and seems brush makes them better.

3. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    Thanks for the tip.
    I usually look for rocky banks this time of year and pass up the mud ones. Maybe I'm missing something.

4. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    dink, if they are anything like the one in your profile pic that your catching by mud banks, then well i'm only fishing there if i need id photo fish... ;-)