Fun for the wee ones.....homemade play dough

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Catgirl, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Yes, another recipe, not in the Diner this time! I wouldn't suggest eating this, but kids nibble occasionally with no ill effects :big_smile:.

Play dough is a time-tested "toy" providing hours of enjoyment; I still think it's fun myself!

Don't believe that you need any fancy doodads for cutting and shaping either- a plastic take-out knife, some different size lids/caps (such as from a dishwashing detergent bottle or scented oil refill; something with a knob on top for l'il fingers to hold), and those handy HANDS we all have work just fine. Plus, leaves more room for creativity and imagination and is great for fine motor skills.

And always always remember......you can't go wrong rolling a bird's nest with eggs and/or a SNAKE! Coil him up and make him hiss :cool2:. Proven pleasers for the young'uns. Have fun!

Homemade Play Dough

Mix in a medium pot: 1 cup flour, 1/4 cup salt, 2 tbsp. cream of tartar

Combine and add: 1 cup water, 2 tsp. food coloring, 1 tbsp. oil

Cook over medium heat and stir (about 3-5 minutes). It will look like a globby mess and you'll be sure it's not turning out, but it will. When it forms a ball in the center of the pot, turn out and knead on a lightly floured surface. Store in an airtight container or plastic bag. This is easily doubled.

2. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm how soft is it?? Do you think it would stay on a hook? :big_smile: probably could mix in some good attractant like anise oil or red jello, or fish oil, or garlic powder or etc etc etc......:eek:oooh:

What do ya think Tanya can we make a bait out of it ??

3. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    Nice now where is that slaw recipe?

4. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    I need the recipe for silly putty cause i like transfering the comics outa sunday paper!

5. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Only you Robert only you:smile2:

6. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    WHEWW!! Glad it wasnt stink bait. I still play with it once in a while when bored fishing. Fun with a slingshot. LOL

7. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    When folks give my kids play dough, i usually thanked them with a handfull of roofing tacks in their driveway:smile2: I hated it, but the boys always loved it:wink: I'm curious if it makes good bait too!!!

8. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya made this alot when i was a kid. we later made it to shoot through our blowguns at cars. and eachother. kids what do ya do with them?:big_smile:

9. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    We gave my nephew a birthday party one time and he got 7, count em, 7 full sets of Play Doh Fun Factory stuff...LOL I told my sister "hey your friends HATE you!!" Her house was nothing but carpet and my nephew was a mean little spit fire too. LOL.

too funny...:big_smile:

10. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

I HAD one of those...I think. It was fun, but after a few days we went back to our own creativity. I did have a wonderfully creative kindergarten teacher as a grandma though. It makes me sad some........there's so much to be taught, l'il things, but important ones. Yeah, gonna quote Hillary now: It takes a village.

11. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    my neice and nephew loves play dough