Fun day with Monster Gills

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by tmramrod91, May 11, 2009.

1. tmramrod91

tmramrod91 New Member

State:
    kansas
    Well, decided to take a bit of a break from chasin whisker fish and took the ol fly rod out to a lake north of KC that is a "Trophy Blue Gill Lake."

Its actually in MO, but the length limit on the gills is 8". Ya, they have a lenth limit on the gills, and the creel is 6 per angler. Needless to say its a lot of fun to fish with light tackle, especially a fly rod bc they just hammer the flies and are a blast to bring in. Had trouble really finding a pattern with them, and they werent bunched up at all. Caught some in 8-10 ft of water, some in 2 ft. Looks like some were makin their beds for the spawn and others havent moved from the deeper water yet (68 degree water or so). Of all the fish we caught, only probably 8 of the gills were under 8"

Anyways here's a pic of the few we kept.

Attached Files:

2. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    Nice gills!! Congrats!

3. ksgoosekillr

ksgoosekillr Member

State:
    Kansas
    Personally i would have thrown the stone can back... but nice nice perch...

4. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Nice size gills! I need some of them live for the flatheads! :big_smile:

5. tmramrod91

tmramrod91 New Member

State:
    kansas
    Ha...that was one of the better parts of the day. I'm a busch light guy, but the stones were free :smile2:

6. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS

What lake is that?

7. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Yup, Troy! I can agree with Mr. Whiskers that bluegill can be some fine
    eating. Now, I don't share his enthusiam for shad but our tastes do
    harmonize on the subject of bluegills, crappies, even largemouth bass.

8. tmramrod91

tmramrod91 New Member

State:
    kansas
    Its called Tomahawk lake, off of Bee Creek blvd. If you go to the MODOC website and search for it you can find the details.

I went out there to scout during duck season (its a like 500 acre park, lake is about 150-200 acres) and there wasnt a soul around. Went out there Sunday and there were 5 boats on the water and about 10 people fishing from the dock/bank! Its a small lake too, electric motors only. Talked to one guy who said its been fished pretty heavily and a lot of the fish are being overharvested. Fortunately gills can repopulate pretty quickly, especially with the length limit.
    Wonderful structure with a few rocky areas with lots of moss on the banks, prime bluegill habitat. We didnt catch 1 fish on the side of the lake thats accessible to bank fish, but caught a lot on the opposite shore where it gets little pressure I'm sure. So, you probably want a boat if you really want to get into them.
    Theres also a 1-2 acre pond there too, caught a handfill of good size gills there this winter.

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    WTG Kevin. Nice gills. Enjoyed the pics.