Fun day on Murray

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by steve_b124, Jan 4, 2009.

1. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Fished solo on Murray yesterday. I got there and set up about 8:30. 15 minutes later a 16lb blue hit in 52 feet of water. About 15 minutes later a rain squall came thru and it got wild. I had rods going down all around the boat. I must of caught 10 to 12 fish in the next 30 minutes. I worked a sweat trying to keep lines in the water. They ran from about 8 to 19 lbs. I was throwing them back so fast I only weighed the largest. The rain quit and the bite slowed down, gave me time to eat my breakfast. I caught a few more, another 18 pounder then a couple of more nice blues, then it slowed again. About 1:00 I drifted up on about 18 feet of water with a good bit of brush. I was about to reel up when a rod went down. By the time I got that rod in another went down. By the time I got out of the mouth of that cove I had 3 flatheads, like they were from the same cookie cutter. All three weighed about 9 lbs. Fat little boogers.

All fish were caught on herring. Other than the 3 flatties, all were blues. I kept 3 for eaters and released the rest. The water is still stained, about 52 degrees. There was no wind, so I set up out of the back and bumped along with the trolling motor.

My camera on my phone is out of order, so I couldn't get any pix. Dad just called from Tennessee. Said that if all goes well with his heart surgery next week, he is coming down to learn to catfish with me. I truely hope I get to take him.

God Bless All,
    Steve

2. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Congrats on a great day Steve , thats a lot of nice fish.

-Jim-

3. flatheadsalyer1

flatheadsalyer1 New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    Congrats on an awesome day Steve! Hope all goes well with your Dad, Nothing like fishing with Dad! You will definantly be in our thoughts and Prayers!!

4. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Way to go Steve!!!!!! That was like a major SMACKDOWN :smile2: What a way to start the new year, right? You deserve it!

5. nanny patrol

nanny patrol Member

State:
    SC
    Great catch Steve, congrats

6. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Glad ya had a great day Steve.:wink: When the bite gets crazy like that, its totally awesome!:big_smile:

7. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    WELL done, Steve! Solo fishin' can get WILD, eh?

Bill in SC

8. fishmccall

fishmccall New Member

State:
    Anderson sc
    Congrats on the great catch.:smile2::smile2:

9. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Very nice there Steve_b!!!:eek:oooh:

What cove was that again?:wink: J/k I put a bug in your boat the day I met you and I track all your "SLIME SEEKING" moves!:wink:

No need to fish alone, call or pm me I would love to meet you at the landing. I'll bring the boat too if ya want. Mon-Thu I'm available.

10. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    Congrats on a great day!:wink:

11. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Hey, the great thing about fishing solo is that you don't have to share the bites with anybody else! There mine, all mine....

Just kidding guys, the fellowship is what it's all about. I especially love taking some kid who's never fished much and putting them on the fish. When I took my 15 year old last week, I told him to get it on every bite, that I was to tired to get it. I let him catch every fish but 1, and that 1 was because we had a double.

This time of year, it seems that low and SLOW is the ticket. I think a lot of people are blasting by a lot of hungry fish because they are drifting way too fast. I was drifting so slow Saturday that 1 fisherman thought I was anchored. I probably only covered a mile in 5 hours of drifting Saturday.

I noticed on another thread a lot of talk on how to handle, net and release cats without doing a lot of injury to the fish. A lot of times I get the fish to the side of the boat, reach over with my pliers and roll the hook out without touching the fish. They always to swim off like nothing has happened. The only downside to this is that I have a really sweet set of pliers at the bottom of Greenwood right now. All together now ..."lanyard". Now Sunbird, no need to get the metal detector to find my honey-hole, I'll take you some time. I might even get you within a 100 yrds of it. Maybe. As long as your "Rude don't eat my non pink drift sock.

God Bless All,
    Steve