Fun Day fishing for Shad.

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by Katmaster Jr., Mar 4, 2006.

1. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I went fishing this afternoon. I usually fish in a Lake, but also fish in a river thats not too far away from my house. It is great fishing in the spring, and this time of year the American and Hickory shad swim up in the river to get ready for spawning. These shad are not like the ones you catch in a cast net, these are pretty big for shad, 1-3lb mostly. I used a sabiki rig with a little spoon on the end carolina rigged with very small bullet weights. Well I fished from about 2pm to 7pm. Didnt catch a big mess of them or anything, but it was a fun day. I was all by myself this time, not even my dad came. Nobody else was fishing there or anything and it was very peaceful. The person that gave me a ride took some pictures at the beggining of the trip, then when he left I took the rest. I also cut up a couple shad and threw out two of my big poles. Got a few nice hits, hooked a few nice fish....but lost them....then I caught one Bowfin AKA Blackfish....they put a nice little bend in your rod. Stripers should be up there anytime soon, the male stripers at least. Usually I catch a limit of them, along with some nice Channel Cats around the end of march or so.

So in the end, I had 8 American Shad, and 1 Bowfin. Still got the shad so I can go to the lake for the big blues tommorow. I will keep giving reports on how I do.

good luck fishing, Zakk.:)

I'm going to post the pictures in below post......good luck fishing, Zakk.:)

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    The first picture is of Shad, second picture is me fighting a shad, and last is the bowfin......

Got a few more.......

Attached Files:

3. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Here's a few more for you to look at.

Good luck, Zakk:)

Attached Files:

4. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Looks like a great day & a fun time! Did you catch that tire too?

5. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Naw that tire's been there for years....LOL My dad's van went way into the river at that spot last summer. That was the good old catmobile....well it was ruined after he did that.:crying:

More pictures and another report....tommorow.:)

6. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Zakk.I have never tried a Sabiki rig.Can you give me any info. on brand,color,size and where you get yours.I would like to try one,if I get a chance to shad fish this year.Hard to be sure from a photo,but is that a Hickery Shad you have?Are the American Shad running yet?If so,is it all bucks,or any roe running yet?Also.THANK YOU for sharing your fishing trip.It is the next best thing to being there.peewee-williams

7. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I would be glad to try to give you some info.

I normally just get my Sabiki Rigs from Walmart or something. Dosent matter what brand or color, just get any basic sabiki. Catfish Connection sells them, you can go to the Catfish Connection website and type in "Sabiki" into the search thing...and it will show you what they have. For shad you want to make sure you get the smaller Sabiki's. That is an American Shad in my picture. For American Shad put some small sliding weights on your line, then tie on your sabiki, then tie on some kind of small spoon on the bottom of the sabiki. Then you just cast out and reel steadily, and at a moderate speed. Then make sure that when you feel the shad hit not to try to set the hook or anything. Just keep reeling and the shad should basically hook itself, trying to set the hook will not do anygood and will cause you to miss many of the shad. Alot of them will hit with small fast pecks, and you will not hook them....that's just a part of it though, shad have a very soft mouth and can also get off the hook easily so be easy on them while reeling in. The American Shad are just not running good, it will steadily improve threw out the spring. I would say the peak of it is early April. Today it was mixed, some of them were Roe and some were not. All of these Shad make excellent cut bait for Cat's and Stripers. I really just enjoy catching these shad though, get yourself a small spinning rod and reel and put something like 12lb test on it and you will have a blast! It's really fun to get into a nice school of American or Hickory Shad. A great fish for anyone, but esspecialy kids, and beginner fisherman. They are often referred to as "The poor mans Tarpon" and for a good reason too! They go nuts! When you hook them they start wiggling like crazy, and usually jump out of the water, giving you a nice little thrill.

Well I hope this helps you buddy, good luck fishing, and let me know if you have anymore questions.

Zakk:)

8. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Also I will take a picture of my shad rig, so you can see how I do it. I will try to do it right now, but if I dont get to, I will post the pictures tommorow.

Zakk:)

9. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Here is a picture of a Sabiki rig......

Attached Files:

10. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Great info.I am 60.I have fished for shad for over 50 years.I learned to fish for them off of a old wooden Ogeechee River bridge with my grandfather.I allways like to hear from others,and try learn the way they fish.I allways like to try new ways.You never know untill you try it.Due to different waters and conditions,it does not allways work.BUT it often does.I do fish,hook,and fight a shad the way you do.I like the roe fried slow and easy.I fillet the fish and then slice the fillets crossways into 1/8 to 3/16 inch strips.I then cornmeal and fry them crisp.This fries the small bones up crisp and you can eat them like potatoe chips.I also wrap a whole cleaned one TIGHTLY in tinfoil,with lemon juice and butter.Put it in a baking pan and into the oven.Bake at 200 to 225 degrees for 6 to 8 hours.You can eat bones and all.The bones will be soft like canned salmon.Thanks again.peewee-williams

11. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Wow, you've got a lot more experience in shad fishing then I do....I am like you, I also like hearing from others and learning new techniques. There are many fisherman out there that just dont pay enough attention to details. There is almost always something you can do to improve, at least something small. Little thing's can make a huge difference. The speed that you reel in the lure for shad can end up making the difference in whether you catch fish or get skunked. My dad has always told me "Detail's are what makes the difference between good fisherman, and great fisherman" and from what I have seen, he is correct.

I've never been a big fan of eating shad, herring, and other types of fish in that family. I hate eating Herring, but American Shad is decent if cooked just right. I think my dad does the same thing as what you're talking about. But we mostly just use them for bait, they work awesome.

Good luck, Zakk.:)

12. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Jr those bowfin are called Mudfish down here. Those things are mean.

13. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yeah I know, those are some mean rascals. Notice I dont have my hand in it's mouth eithier!!!:rolleyes: ....They put up a right nice little fight though.:cool:

14. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

They call them Dogfish up here due to the teeth, and the voracious appitites they show.

Ray

15. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Yeah I Noticed that.LOL I pick them up by the gill flaps. I've landed alot in the 8-10# range and one around 20#,talk about pulling that large one pulled like a train.

16. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Ha ha.....I catch alot in the 8-10 lb range also. Never over 10 though, a 20...Dang!!! Surprised if that didnt take all day to reel in....lol You probably thought you had a 40lb cat on....LOL:rolleyes:

17. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    I had already landed 2 smaller ones out of the same spot so I knew it was another mudfish,just didn't know it was that big until he bout took my rod.LOL

18. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    I've caught plenty of grinnel,but never a 20#.....man what a fight that would be!!

19. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    What? You mean it didn't snap your rod in half?....LOL

20. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    They get big in some of the back waters of the swamps here & They love cut bluegill.