Fun at Bass Pro shop

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by flathunter, Feb 5, 2006.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My wife and I spent way to much money today at bass pro, but it was fun!..I got my first boat a 14ft jon, trolling motor, portable fishfinder, battery charger etc, and she boought a bunch of shirts and stuff....Bad thing is when I left they asked me to fill out a credit application, and I did, and to my amazment was approved, Man I better throw this credit card away!..some pics below.

2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Jack,

Welcome to the dark side my friend! :)

Nice catfish rig! What pound thrust is your Kota?

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The kota is 55-lb thrust...I really dont have the money for a new outboard..But I did like those Briggs and Straton outboards they had..I think they were around 700 bucks for a 7hp?

4. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Jack I went there a couple of years ago and left there minus $2000.00 just for gear for my boat, It don't take much. Good luck with the new boat it looks sweet. Now you got to get a trailer to pull that bad boy around with. Once you get that 250 HP Merc on there, you could give Brian whip lash..lmao

5. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Man, you generally can't walk into that place without taking a real shot in the wallet :eek: Looks like you got some neat stuff (hope you didn't forget your safety vests). Now that you have a boat, you're going to start to discover all kinds of things that you will be needing, so maybe it's a good thing that your credit got approved (but for whom, I'm not certain). Good fishin'!

6. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    flathunter you should of filled out the credit card first they give you 10 percent off with your first purchase. so take it all back and buy it again. naw just kidding about taking it back but they should give you the 10 percent next time. my dad bought a 1500.00 depth finder like that. hey thats funning seeing someone else going broke in there besides me. looks like you got plenty of toys there. now your wife will want to go to the new mall and you cant say no!!!!!

7. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Man, I'm proud for you, flathunter. And bless your wife for going along with you! I know you can't wait to try that stuff out.
    I remember as a young kid, I mostly bankfished, unless I went with an adult. When I got older, I was allowed to use the homemade wooden boat we had, with a 15hp Johnson, then after I got out of service, I started with a small jon boat that my wife bought for me while I was in 'Nam. I used that with a small motor, and caught lots of fish, but I gradually moved up to bigger, and bigger rigs, started bassin', etc. Then I realized I spent more time running up and down the river, and catching less and less fish for the time spent. Finally slowed down and started catching them again. :)
    Moral: bigger ain't always better!
    That 55# motor will push you plenty good...Enjoy, brother.

8. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    well, now you done it, your ruined for life:D congrats on the new boat! man that thing barely fits in the truck! "bigger 'aint always better"....boy aint that the truth!

9. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Something I dont understand..In Ohio you dont need a title for a boat under 14, this jon is 13ft 11 inches but they still made me pay 40 bucks for a title..They said they knew all about the law, but this was there requirement????..And Yes this bass pro is in Ohio.

10. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Jack, thats sweet, I hope you got the boat home ok, it looks like a tight squeeze in the back of the truck. Heck you should have let me know when you were headed down there, I would have come down, instead I spent an hour at Gander Mountain instead, ( Check your regular EMail) Good deal, now we need spring to get here!!
    You Go Jack!!

Salmonid

11. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It was a tight fit, but one strap and one rope held in very secure for the 100 mile ride home.

12. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Congrats on your new boat Jack..:) but where is Mellon gonna sit now that your wife is gonna wanna go fishin more?:0a10: The reason they would not let ya out the door without filling out their credit application is that they KNOW you will be back for a trailor, that outboard ya looked at, PFDs, rod holders, bait wells, lights, anchors, more rods and reels for your wife, etc, etc:eek:...LOL....like Paul said, welcome to the dark side....LOL

13. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Jack, Are you sure it wasnt a prep/setup/misc doc fee? I'll call you.

14. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Jack , In Ohio anything over 13.5 is considered 14 foot and must have a title, your boat would of had to be under 13.5 to make it. But thats Ohio, Plus your motor must be titled too I think, but there might be a sixe limit on it too. I know I had a very hard time with Ohio, they made me weigh my trailer without my boat to get it registered, and they made me title my Motor and boat. Its different there thats for sure, and no other state around makes you weigh your trailer to get it registered, just Ohio

15. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    In Ohio it's actually anything 10 HP & above is what needs to be titled. For instance I do not have a title for my Mercury 9.9 HP.

16. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    This is from the State Of Ohio Div of Watercraft:

"Sale/Purchase of Personal Watercraft Requires Certificate of Title
    Effective January 1, 2000, no person is permitted to sell, purchase, or otherwise acquire a watercraft less than 14 feet in length with a permanently affixed mechanical means of propulsion of 10 horsepower or greater without a certificate of title."

17. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    congrats on all the new gear and looks like a great boat Jack

18. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I think you could have gotten out of titling it if you had mentioned the trolling motor was for a friend and this boat would be rowed under your own power, if my memory serves me well, I had all sorts of problems titling my Drift boat, its 16 ft, but is basically a row boat, they kept asking, "Is it a canoe, or a Jon Boat? " I wasnt stupid and told them it was a big wide canoe;) and the definition boils down to will it be motorized or will it be used under your own power. Thats what i remember.
    Whatever the case, its always more then you thought it would be....:p

Salmonid,
    Oh yeah Jack, Im only 45 minutes from BPS so when you need something else, give me a shout and ill pick it up for you, Im down that way all the time for work

19. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    we got a new bass pro at severeville last fall. i put off going because of the crowds. when it first opened you had to park as much as 1/2 mile away from the store and walk in. my wife and i went last friday. i wanted to look at big jon boats. the biggest one they had was 10 feet.
    i decided to check out the hooks. first the salesman tried to push circle hooks on me. when he did show me the hooks they didn't have any with large eyes. since i use parachute cord for line i didn't buy any hooks. i decided then this may be the place to get a big dip net. a 24 inch was as big as they had. i have 2 of those i need at least a 30 inch.
    i went upstairs to pick up some ammo for my 757. they did not have any. in all my wife and i were in bass pro about 2 hours and didn't spend a dime. i wasn't even impressed with thier aquarium. the biggest fish in it was a 20 lb blue. they did have several bait size bass though.

20. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Love BPS, stop in there every time I get down around 275. Enjoy the new boat and go get some kitties with it.