Full throttle?

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by daniel-delarosa, Feb 8, 2007.

1. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    does it hurt to run a motor at full throttle? I have a 35hp Force 2 stroke, it smokes alittle if i have the throttle maxed out. is that normal?

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    As long as the engine stays within the manufacturer's recommended RPM range, there shouldn't be a problem.

However, there's little doubt that running around at full throttle causes more wear on an engine than running around at half-throttle, so I sure wouldn't do it all the time.

3. daniel-delarosa

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    Thats the bad thing, I dont have a tach to see what RPM I'm running at.

4. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Be sure it's smoke, not steam

5. daniel-delarosa

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    how do i do that? and what does it mean if it is steam?

6. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    My 2 stroke does the same thing. Mine is smoke tho.
    Bill

7. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Steam will dissapate quickly and not smell much. Smoke lingers with a blue haze.

When was the last time the water pump was changed?

8. daniel-delarosa

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    I haven't changed it. I have had it for about a year. The guy I bought it from probably never changed it either. The reason he sold it to me (for half of what he was asking) was because he could't get it started one day when he was planning of going fishing. He said he picked at it for a few days and gave up. The first thing I did when I got it home was pull the carb and soak it in ChemTool and drain the fuel tanks. That thing busted right off the first time!
    How hard is it to change a water pump? I am clueless when it comes to outboards.

9. Stainless

Stainless Member

State:
    Ft Smith, AR
  10. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    There's not much to it. But you need to buy a service manual for your motor if you're going to do any maintenance on it. Look for Clymer or SELOC brand service manuals at your local boat dealer, marine store (Boater's World, etc.) or online.

You can buy the parts to replace the water pump online and save a good chunk over buying them from the local parts dealer - there are web sites with full parts diagrams that make it easy to find what you need; search Google for them. Buy the full water pump service kit that includes the housing and gaskets, etc. -- don't buy just an impeller.

11. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Well, you got your answers. Go do it.