The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it true you catch bigger fish or more fish during full moon than in any other time?

·
Registered
269 Posts
It is said that the moon phase has an effect on fishing. Full and New moon is supposed to be better fishing. I know an awful lot of fishermen who catch fish no matter the phase, and those same fishermen say it's a lot of hooey that phase matters. There are a lot of articles on this on the internet. Google it and read.

Do you catch bigger fish during the full or new moon? Only if one happens by and takes your bait. Otherwise, I'd say it's about the same odds as any other time. Best time to go fishing? Whenever you can!!!

·
Registered
488 Posts
IMO its really going to depend on the situation. I honestly have much better luck with no moon at all. If your fishing shallow water and you have a bright moonlight sky overhead, its probably going to affect you in the negative. Now same situation but, add a little cloud cover, and most likely to help. I think all animals/humans feel the energy of the full moon/new moon cycles. But, just think of the advantage that predators get when there isn't a moon at all, especially cat's, being more scent/vibration oriented. Wouldn't rule out fishing either one but, I like none or a full moon with lots of cloud cover!

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
my biggest fish actually came duing a new moon. Luey out here in AZ when the moon gets full, it gets really bright out and i think that kind of puts a damper on the fishes. i have better luck between the last and first quarters of the moon phases.

·
Registered
141 Posts
My 2 cents. There's really far too many factors to focus on just moon phase. Yeah its an important factor, but no more important than any of the others. Weather, sun position, moon phase, moon position, temp of water, temp of air, high front, low front, clouds, etc..
There's 33 total factors that effect natures feeding habits. I cant name them all, but its worth researching.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
I like to fish either the 2 weeks before the new moon or the 2 weeks before the full moon has always worked for me.HAHAHAHAHA Just go fishin whenever you get a chance. The more you go the better the odds of catching a big fish are.

·
Registered
6,064 Posts
Here we go-worms are getting away:wink:I have a buddy that will not fish full moon,me lets go if ya feel like it...? I aint got the answear but I will be out there on any given night in fair weather and Its all good I love a quiet night not catching but a night knocking cant be beat:wink:My blood preasure is up just thinkin bout the comin months.............

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am with no fishing on full moon, it appears during a full moon phase, fishing for cats or ANYTHING that bites, except my girfriend which she bites all the time:smile2:!

No brownie points there!

Fish must turn into some other critters, zombies or something?
Just don't really know why, if someone else has the reason let us know!

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I fish during all phases seems to me I have better luck during a full moon.When bank fishing have to use less light to fish with.

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
I dont think those big cats are just gonna feed during the full moon, or they would not get that big.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think the trick to catching fish big or small is not waiting for the right moon,rain, sun , cold or hot but to be consistant and be out in the water as much as possible.I mean some kind of bait in the water all the time, and don't let the moon take credit for all your hard work/fun. Fish hard work less!!!!

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the replies everyone. I do agree that there has to be more than just the moon to be able to catch some big fish.
I agree with you all that say to just get out there and fish!!:wink:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts