Full Moon

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Switchback XT, Nov 26, 2006.

1. Switchback XT

Switchback XT New Member

State:
    MS
    What are ya'lls thoughts on hunting after full moon nights? They seem to really mess a lot of stuff up for me, and yea I've sat longer on those days or just gotten to the stand later. They just don't seem to be nearly as good, especially for bucks.

2. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    during a full moon deer tend to move more during midday then normal.

3. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    You beat me to it! I have heard the same thing. Not sure if it's true or not...

4. Switchback XT

Switchback XT New Member

State:
    MS
    I can say firsthand that its true because I've pulled a lot of all day sits on full mooners. But I just think a big buck is going to get his fill on roaming around at night on a full moon unless he's rutting and a hot nanny runs by him.

5. Cathooker

Cathooker New Member

State:
    Ga
    I agree... the full moon is a tough time to hunt. Midday has a little more movement. During the rut the bucks will be cruising whenever the mood strikes them...I like to sit all day during these times.

6. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I gotta agree, I think during the full moon bucks go more nocturnal. Ive seen a few bucks while walking to stand in the full moon, then see nothing. Cool seeing their antlers twinkle from the moonlight though.

7. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I agree I've seen more deer moving earlier, maybe not trophy bucks but a lot of does out feeding.

8. Fishnhuntforever

Fishnhuntforever New Member

State:
    Northern California
    On days that you have a full moon the night prior I would recommend checking the bedding areas first thing as they will feed at night and bed down earlier. Work in close to those bedding areas very slowly and you may be more successful. I like to move more when hunting deer checking fresh sign and locating deer but out here are numbers are not as good as other states and our season ends before the rut begins. The exception being if you get drawn for a late season hunt. Therefore I don't spend much time on a stand waiting for the deer. If it is thick I will push it with a couple hunting buddies or move along slowly if I am on my own. When pushing we will use a natural funnel and set up a shooter. If it is open I will use the spot and stalk method. I usually hunt blacktail and have not spent any time hunting whitetail deer. Blacktail stick tight to cover during the day and use it to thier advantage and alot of people beleive they don't move during the day but that is simply not true they will move during all times of the day but choose paths that are well concealed. Of course the amount of hunting pressure and weather conditions are a huge factor. After a moon there will be less movement earlier as they have had ample light to feed. That is probably why you would see more movement midday.

9. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Well, I'll tell you what. I do most of my fishing at night. Getting home usually between 1 and 2 AM. I don't think it matters at all whether it's a new moon, full moon, quarter moon or any phase at all. I see as many or more deer on a pitch black night crossing the roads, which means they're moving, as I do on any other night. I've been sitting in my treestand with the full moon still way up in the sky after full sunrise and taken my best bucks. This is just my experience, but for what it's worth that's what I've noticed. I most definately wouldn't ever "not hunt" just because the moon was full the night before, that's for sure.