Full moon?

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by catrod, Jun 8, 2006.

1. catrod

catrod New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    whats the best time to fish the moon? I see that moon is about to be full in a couple of days, how does this affect the night bite for cats? I have learned from experience that 3 days before through the full moon and 3 days after really is good for bass, crappie,etc. P.S. I finally learned how to throw a cast net! I can almost make it full open every time now. Watch out you little shad!!!!!!!:big_smile:

2. Tarheel

Tarheel New Member

State:
    NC
    In general I have always found the night bite best from dusk until about 1 AM. The full moon seems to make them more active. When we get a full moon the channel cats at least seem to feed closer to the surface. At nights with the full moon we will usually put out at least two poles with bobbers on them. We fish only about 3 feet deep. I have had full moon nights when the bobbers have caght 90% of the fish. Try it and let me know how it works.

3. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

The full moon makes all schooling fish more active. It usually triggers a spawn in some fish, of course not all fish spawn at the same time. Because the full moon makes the BAIT more active and easier to see from underneath, the cats feed more. Congratulations on mastering your cast net.

4. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    The flatheads usally don't bite worth a darn on the full moon. I think it's the light shining down on the water. You might be able to get some blues but not flats. With blues it can go either way.

5. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i only have luck for flats on a full moon during the middle of the day and really late. like 2-5am. one thing ive noticed about the 2 days before and the day of the full moon is that the action willl be very slow but the biggest of the big are feeding!

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    full moon, new moon, no moon...I get skunked either way.

7. Mid-MO fisherman

Mid-MO fisherman New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Mo
    Flathunter, Im with ya brother. :crazy:

8. Kittyhunter

Kittyhunter New Member

State:
    Princeton, NC
    Every time I have been on a full moon, we have had no luck. It does help you see, but that's about it.

9. BamaCats

BamaCats New Member

State:
    Alabama
    it is a full moon now and i am still getting skunked dont think i am chewing my bait right :lol:

10. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    ive seen it go both ways. i used to not fish the full moon but now it dont matter. the two best nights i had last year was on a full moon. one night i was catching flatheads the other night i was catching blues. i think there is way too many other things involved than the moon.

11. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    what ive notice is that its hit or miss on full moons the fishing will ether be great or it will be dead my best day so for this year was on the night of the last full moon i caught 11 fish in the 20lbs range one in the 30lbs range and one in the 40s

12. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Full moons suck. all the crazy shallow end of the gene pool people call me on full moons at work. (Im a csr in a call center) but as for fishing I dont know. never paid much attention to the moon outside of hunting season.

13. Mixed results here on the full moon. Things I have noticed are that they tend to feed higher in the water column. I like to hang limblines so that the bait is right under the surface. Blues and channels tend to run the banks more than at other times as well.
    Bream will be on the bed and channels will be there too. Good time to load up on bait, just be sure to toss out a couple heavier rods to the deep end of the bed.

14. CATCHUP

CATCHUP New Member

State:
    north carolina
    must just be the tide in the resevoir

15. dataman

dataman New Member

State:
    texas
    I have some information that may be of interest regarding my experience with moon phases. The attached scatter graph shows flatheads I have caught over 30lb. in the last 4 yrs. All were caught in reservoirs on jugs at night. (all released after weighing). The X axis is fish weight in lbs. The Y axis is moon day with 1 = new moon. The full moon will occur on either day 15 or 16. It hasn't been my most productive timefor larger fish. I hope graph is readable.

Attached Files:

16. CATCHUP

CATCHUP New Member

State:
    north carolina
    yup works for me