Full Moon - Will catfish Bite then?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by MRR, May 6, 2006.

1. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    i Have Always Been Told That When There Is A Full Moon The Fish Won't Bite. What Do You All Think.is It True Or Just An Ol Wives Tale.

2. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hi John. I read a article once and if I remember right it said that the majority of state record fish were cought on either a full moon or three days befor or after it.The article stated I belive that the fish were more aggresive because of the moon faze. I don"t know if thats true or not. I know there is alot of knowledge here at the B.O.C. has anyone ever that to be true.Bigcatman0816.

3. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    I've talked to several cat fishing guys that say they Never fish the full moon. I know I don't. I can imagine the way one fishes can have a lot to do with it. Also, the body of water you fish, water clarity,weather etc. etc.

4. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    I 'll have to try this never heard off that

5. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
  6. steve-o

steve-o New Member

State:
    ohio
    i've caught plenty during full moon. personally i believe that barometric pressure, controls bite more than anything. on the other hand, i'm no expert, either. just my perception of my experiences.

7. steve-o

steve-o New Member

State:
    ohio
    people are affected by moon cycle, i know that's true, my mom used work at a home for the mentally retarded, and i know full moons always seemed to aggitate the residents.

i'm sure if you ask any cop, doctor, or bartender they will tell you the same.

8. redneckdrum

redneckdrum New Member

State:
    kansas
    Because I fish mostly at night,My catch rate is lower on a full moon,but thats just my observation.

9. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I like to fish the full moon . I've had some of my catfishing onthe full moon . I haven't kept close records but just happen to notice it . My uncle and cousins would not fish the full moon when i was a kid. Dad and I fished when we could didn't matter moon phase, barometer or anyting except lightning. we usually caught something . I do know that I catch gills and crappies at night on the full moon quite often as i like to have a rod out for bait when cat fishing. just my thinking. but i believe in fishing the full moon. good luck , cat:0a23: ch ya later

10. onlyone

onlyone New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    I used to work in a nursing home my last two years of high school. Before I worked there I thought that the full moon affecting peoples behavior was a bunch of crap. Once I started working there I realized that its true. Those old people are absolutely crazy on full moons. With that in mind, I would think that it should affect fish---but I'm not sure if it would make them bite or keep them from biting.

11. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois

12. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    I've had some of my best nights fishing during the full moon. I believe that the baro pressure has more to do with how and when the fish bite, IMO.
    Darryl has the right idea on the site to use.

13. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.

I'D SAY THAT A LOT OF RESEARCH WENT INTO THAT ARTICLE. VERY INTERESTING THOUGH. THANKS FOR YOUR RESPONSE TO MY ?

14. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Thank you DCR, that information was just great I have always belived there was something to the moon fazes now i"m conviced. Keep up the great work!!!! Bigcatman0816.

15. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    DRC..... Nice link there brother! Thank you bro. I have to agree with the link. Fished a whole lot with Vini and centralcalcat last year and I nothiced that when the moon or the sun rose and set, the bite was stronger. More big cats were caught. My dad always swore by the full moon. I like the full moon for the light effect. No need for a lanter with a full moon. I just dont do as good with the moon or the sun in the air.

16. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I personally have caught more big fish just before the full of the moon. I also am looking for the moon to be in the sign of the crab, scorpion, and fish. These signs seam to work best for me. I use to keep records on it my fishing and compare it against the almanac. You can see by my log at the bottom of this post how I feel.

17. Majesticman

Majesticman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I had one of my best nights on a full moon. I sat under the 68 bridge on Johnathan Creek and pulled out several within 2 hours right when the moon was at center above the bridge. After the light started shinning under the bridge it shut down. Never tried it again but I need to.

18. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    The only fact is that no one knows.

There are tons of theories, but no one had ever been able to scientifically prove the affect of the moon on the feeding habits of fish. Every study I have seen has shown little if any significant affect.

I will never plan a fishing trip around the lunar cycle. My logs have proven nothing so far. I have caught lots of fish and very few fish in ever lunar phase. Here are some notes from the journal:

March 24th / Last Qt. / 19 fish total
    March 31st / New Moon on the 29th / Caught the fish in my avatar plus 19 more
    April 15th / Full Moon on the 13th / Caught 25 fish
    May 1st / New Moon April 27th / 1st Qt. May 5th / Caught 30 fish

I picked my four best days this year for total numbers and matched that against the moon phase and found no pattern. I also matched the catch times to the moon rise and set times like the author did in the article that was linked, and found nothing.

The bottom line is that you should fish WHENEVER you have the chance and be thankful to the Lord that you have been given the chance to do so.

19. JamesRiverFlats

JamesRiverFlats New Member

State:
    Virginia
    The biggest cat I have ever caught was on a full moon, but when you think about it, what moon phase isn't a good one to be fishing?

20. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    I don't think it's a question of will they bite, I think it's a question of do you have the right bait. The world record channel, flathead and blue were all caught on a full or new moon. Personally, I think when the big cats are out feeding, the smaller cats make themselves scarce because they are several steps down on the food chain. In other words, when the big boys are out playing, the little ones find a hiding spot. So people that fish a full moon or new moon and say they have zero luck, could it be they are fishing baits for the smaller cats, who make themselves scarce? I'd suggest using large baits on a new or full moon, be it live or cutbait. The object would be to ignore the baits that get you the 2-10 lbers and go for the big ones, meaning hand sized slabs of fresh cutbait or large live baits. If it's smaller then your hand, leave it at home.
    Rat