Full Moon vs Dark of Moon

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by kkyyoottee, Aug 30, 2007.

1. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Does the full moon interupt the movement and feeding of catfish? Or does this activity increase during the darkening of the moon?

2. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    It'd be hard to argue that a bright, full moon doesn't impact the water and the activity of the fish differently than a pitch-black new moon night would. What is the impact? I don't know and doubt if anyone else can quantify it very well. There are far too many factors that contribute to a "good" or "bad" day (or night) of fishing -- as much as folks would like to simplify things, it's just not possible to use one element of the equation to summarize the whole situation.

Besides, I'm more interested in fishing whenever I'm able to, regardless of what the moon phase, barometric pressure, wind direction or Farmer's Almanac says...:wink:

3. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    If a full moon was bad then would we catch any fish during the day? I agree there has to be something else besides the amount of light. Any ideas?

4. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    It has been my experience that catfishing during the day seems better during the prespawn period, I think during the summer catfish feed more at night no matter what the moon phase. Also, bluegill and other panfish spawn during full moons all summer, so catfish could be feeding shallow near the beds during a full moon.

5. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    we fish for flatheads in relatively shallow water 2'-6'...during a full moon the river appears to be dead....but when the clouds pass in front of the moon the water erupts...with bait fish being chased by hungry cats...

on a dark overcast night or new moon fish are constantly feeding all night...and are catches in size and numbers increase exponentially...

It has gotten so bad we don't even fish on full moons...

so i would say yes, for me the full moon has allot to do with the way fish feed

6. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    i don't even pay attention much to moon cycles anymore. i used to but i would do real good on one and real good on another and do bad on both cycles too. i believe water levels and barometric pressure have more to do with the bite than moon cycles. that being said, i have also had great days with little to no current and high pressure and this just leads me to believe that the best time to go fishing is...... anytime you get a chance! :wink:

7. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
  8. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    ok, the thing about a full moon is that catfish dont like the light refraction created by the bright moon and the waves. so in a night like that, your gonna want to fish areas that have good cover. just like its day time. on a dark night when the light is not refracting, they are more likely to move into the flats and feed, so you wanna find the flats and humps near the creek channels that they hide in.

9. HHinNC

HHinNC Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Wow, there's so many variables here that can apply. Certainly there is a lot of documentation and anecdotal evidence about the influence of the moon cycles on feeding, spawning etc. Commonly it is posted that many species spawn on the full moon, or migrate on the new moon. Then there is the common occurance of the bigger fish being caught within 3 days of the full moon cycle. It is my belief that the moon cycle does, in fact, effect the behavior of fish with regard to feeding or spawning (along with other influences like weather, temperature, time or year, and all.) Forgive me, as I cannot give any valid answer to this question myself.....other than to say that I once posed a similar question to a fresh caught channel cat who answered....
    "grunt, grunt, grunt, grunt". (forgive me Lord, and bless the starving pygmies in New Guinea etc.):eek:oooh:

10. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I used to spend a lot of time studying moon phases, solunar tables, and barometric charts--and came to the scientific conclusion that the best time is whenever I can drag my lazy butt ro rhe water. While I am sure that all of these influence fishing to a degree, their biggest influence is on your confidence. Come to think of it, that is a major influence.

11. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with most of the above post. The best time to go fishing is when you get the opportunity. For several years I kept records of fishing trips. These trips were both night and day, spread out through the years. My records reflected that I caught more fish in the dark of the moon. Maybe I fished harder during this time. I still prefer the dark of the moon. Right or wrong.:big_smile:

12. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I admit that I don't keep a record of the moon phase when I fish because I go when I can. I do keep a mental note of significant factors. My work schedule is consistant. 2 weekends ago, the moon was almost full. Last year, on the same weekend, the water conditions were simillar with the exception that the rain came a day earlier this year. Last year, we made out like bandits on trotlines. Had to sleep in the rain under a tarp, but we caught the heck out of fish. This year, skies were clear, but the water wasn't. Muddy water was flowing into the lake. Made out like bandits again. If you can see muddy swirls in the water like chocolate milk, you can bet the till that the catfish are feeding 'round the clock. I'm not sure which has more influence, the moon, or the water conditions. We got out on the water, and I said "Yup, it's gonna be a catfish kind of night." And it was. When I show up, and the water is clear and calm, I almost don't even want to put forth the effort because I know that fish will be few, and far between.